In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

44 Mag & Ballard rifling for feral pigs

62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
I have a Marlin 1894P with Ballard rifling. I'm looking for a good load for feral boar in Texas. I have a good Keith type that drops at 245-248 grains in wheel weight & 50/50 solder mix (9:1). It doesn't have a gas check so I'm looking for a good load that will not lead the barrel too badly, but will drop the pig reliably. Would I be better off using the Sierra full profile match jacket bullet at 250 grains?
Thanks

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not in my opinion, no. Size those cast bullets to .002" over groove diameter, or as large as will chamber. Use a standard primer and work up a load with 2400 that is accurate. It doesn't need to be a maximum load because your barrel length will give you all the velocity you need. Expect from two the three feet of penetration: what I call "modanuff." On game, you won't shoot enough for leading to be an issue.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A load of 20 grains of 2400 pushing the Lyman 245 Keith Style cast bullet should make you very happy with performance and accuracy. That bullet is a dang plow, going through bone and grizzle with nary a problem.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds like you have a Lyman 429421 or something similar. I would suggest starting at 18.5 gr of 2400 using a magnum primer with a fairly heavy roll crimp. Changing nothing but the powder charge in 1/2 gr increments until pressure signs begin to show or satisfaction is attained, whichever comes first.I have used this combination for years with great results in Blackhawks, Redhawks and 629.In a rifle it will be great.Good quality Hard cast bullets can be driven around 1200 fps before gas checks are an issue. Too soft and problems will be apparent early.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While many people have used magnum primers with 2400, the lab guys at Alliant do not recommend it. They have found pressure variations and pressure spikes with that combination. They say to use standard-strength primers only with 2400.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Rocky has it right. I've shot over 2,000 rounds of 2400 in hunting with 44,s. Got better accuracy with standard primers. I have went up to 22grs. of it with a gas check.
    I'd use about 20gr. with your bullet.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry guys the book load I started with 30 years ago specifically calls for magnum primers.I also find much more consistent velocties in below zero testing with them. Maybe the lab guys need to get out of the lab once in a while.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too have used magnum primers with 2400 for more complete powder burning.
    Additionally, I've read mag primers shoot lighter Unique pistol loads more cleanly.
    These have worked for many years for me but today's pressure test equipment has taken exception with some old loading data.