In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

twist rate and bullet weight

midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok guys, i was playing with loads for my 30-06 and picked up some berger vld hunting bullets. 185gr. I blew the barrel up before I had a chance to try them.

Fast forward to now and I've taken that blown up 30-06 and am in the process of having it built into a 1k yd benchrest rifle. (that was actually the original plan for it back when I bought it anyways)

New barrel is a Shilen 308 #7 (heavy varmint profile) with a 1:10 twist. My question is this: Is this an appropriate twist rate for the 185gr vld's? I want them to be as heavy as possible for fighting the 30mph texas wind when I take it prairie dog hunting, but I'm not sure what bullet weights the 1:10 twist rate is good for. I got a great price on the barrel so I snagged it. If I need to change bullet weight to match it then so be it. I want to stay with the heavier bullets but need to know that the twist will stabilize them.

I plan to exclusively shoot VLD's, and will be focused more on accuracy than velocity. Give me some other options for this twist in case I decide I don't like these 185's. Sub quarter MOA is the absolute minimum standard for accuracy that I have. If it shoots half inch at 100yds, I don't want it.

I know you precision guys are out there. Throw your .02 in and help a brother out.

Comments

• RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Per Berger you should be fine.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/products/target-bullets/

A little extra RPM's can be a good thing.
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    Per Berger you should be fine.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/products/target-bullets/

A little extra RPM's can be a good thing.

Ohh geeze. I didn't even think to look there... [B)]

Thank you![:I]
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    10 twist will run even the 240gr 30cal pills. I am running 210-220 and will be trying some 230gr Berger Hybrids.
    edited November -1
    I didn't realize that a 1:10 was a fast twist for a 30 cal. I was stuck in .223 mindset where a 1:10 is more towards the slow side...

Now that I've been enlightened, I'm toying with the idea of making two loads for the gun. Light and fast for medium range, slow but solid for longer ranges. Just gonna have to buy a little bit of everything and play with it. Got plenty of time. I'm building this gun for a prairie dog hunt I'm planning to go to summer after next. I'd love to get it done faster but there's this budget thing in the way...

When it's all done, I'll post the story and photos chronicling the guns life from when I got it until now. It'll be neat.
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by midnightrunpaintballer
    I didn't realize that a 1:10 was a fast twist for a 30 cal. I was stuck in .223 mindset where a 1:10 is more towards the slow side...

Now that I've been enlightened, I'm toying with the idea of making two loads for the gun. Light and fast for medium range, slow but solid for longer ranges. Just gonna have to buy a little bit of everything and play with it. Got plenty of time. I'm building this gun for a prairie dog hunt I'm planning to go to summer after next. I'd love to get it done faster but there's this budget thing in the way...

When it's all done, I'll post the story and photos chronicling the guns life from when I got it until now. It'll be neat.

Give the 208gr Amax a try. It should be good on vermin.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your 'dog hunt is like some of the ones my family has had where we would burn through 50-60 (or more) shots with each .22-250, with an '06 you're going to need some padding or you'll end up with a pretty sore shoulder!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Riomouse911
    If your 'dog hunt is like some of the ones my family has had where we would burn through 50-60 (or more) shots with each .22-250, with an '06 you're going to need some padding or you'll end up with a pretty sore shoulder!

308. F class stock. Muzzle brake. 26" Heavy barrel. not much recoil to speak of.

this will not be a rifle you sling over your shoulder and hike to somewhere like my 06 used to be.

ive felt that pain before.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a BIG prairie dog rifle.
    Most folks carry two or more .22 - 6mm and trade them off to keep from overheating the barrels. Prairie dog massacre.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    That's a BIG prairie dog rifle.
    Most folks carry two or more .22 - 6mm and trade them off to keep from overheating the barrels. Prairie dog massacre.

Yep. It will be my long range gun. Will also have a 223 for 300 yds and closer. I will be shooting against my friends with 6mmppc's, 6.5x284's, and 300 win mags among a trailer full of others.

My friends are benchrest shooters and don't play around when it comes to tagging prairie dogs. I've been wanting to go for a couple years now. 223 is already built and ready.

These guys take shots out to 1200 yds on them and anything closer than 300 yards they get out the pistols. Custom heavy barreled remington xp100's.

They're way out of my league but hey, it sounds fun!

Edited because my phone is stupid.