In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington VS Winchester Brass?

Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
I'm selling some new brass on the auction side--same amounts and price for each auction--some Winchester and some Remington. Surprisingly, the Winchester brass is garnering much more attention than the Remington variety. I've never thought there was much difference between Winchester or Remington brass--both seem to reload well and have equal life expectancies. So, this got me to wondering, is one better than the other or is one simply marketed better than the other? Why is the Winchester brass garnering 400% more watchers and bidders than Remington? Would appreciate your thoughts on Winchester VS Remington brass.

Comments

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester brass has, for me, been more consistent with regards to length, and thickness, as well as primer pocket/flash holes.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in the day Winchester Super Speed brass was the best. The last batch of 200 Remington 8mm Mauser had several with way off center flash holes, would have broken a decapping pin had I not spotted them during my case prep.

Sadly they never made an 22 Jet brass.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    My experience has been that Winchester Brass has very good consistency. From one cartridge to the next I find very little difference in the brass response to pressure. In side by side comparisons the Remington brass is thicker for a given case- which results in smaller case capacity- results in less powder being needed or pressures higher for a given load. It may be a result of the thicker brass, but Remington brass seems softer to me. At present I use Winchester brass for all cartridges that I load except 6.5x54 and 375 RUM (both are not offered by Winchester).
  • CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a time when there were differences in the quality of the major brands of brass, both U.S. and foreign. But not so today. Modern materials and tooling are availble to all and you won't find much difference between them. The internet doesn't help. Once a guy posts a few bad remarks about some caliber in some brand, it goes viral, growing and growing until it becomes fact.

JMHO

Ray
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Back in the day" as they say...Winchester was the only cartridge
    manufacture that controlled the process start to finish. They had their own mill for the production of ctg brass. (everyone else
    bought theirs on the open market) High quality and consistency
    were the norm for Winchester-Western. Today...anybody's guess.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had poor luck with W-W brass in .270 WSM. Bad wrinkles in the shoulder and 9 out of a 100 that would not fit the RCBS shellholder. Found a bag of R-P brass and no such trouble. Also got some W-W brass for .264 Win. Mag. and about 15% neck splits on first firing. Apparently poor anneal.

I guess if I were bidding on your brass I'd be going for the R-P!
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    If you are loading straight walled Pistol cases for semi auto Pistols Be aware that the best type of crimp is TAPER CRIMPIF The brass matches your sizing die and belling die with the brass wall thickness.
    Remington brass is much thinner . This can result with loads that work great with Winchester becoming DANGEROUS when using Remington cases . Because the results of the thin case and the exact same outside dimensions .469 at case mouth the bullet will not be held in place. this lets the bullet move when striking the pistol feed ramp pushing the bullet base down to touch the powder charge. This can and does result in High Pressure and Kaboom of the case at the very fron of the extractor groove [V][xx(][:(][:(!] Happen twice to me before I found out the cause.[:I][:I][:I]
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    +1 on Perry. I love WW brass,but I use the Rem for cast bullets with only target loads since it's thinner and easier to keep within spec. But for jacketed bullets I use WW because it crimps the bullet better.

Best brass for me was always Norma.

Best of luck
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Norma and Lapua then Winchester.
  • zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lapua, Norma, Nosler. Then Winchester
  • NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester cleans up nicer, is thick, lasts a long time, and the headstamp is MUCH easier to read than R.P. Therefore, when I go through the shoot-clean-reload process, I much prefer Winchester. All my RP seems to scratch easily, too.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I often get WW cases that stick in the shell holders I use in both .44's and .38's. I am guessing WW brass is a tiny bit thicker than the other brands I have in my mixed-headstamp light load bucket.

But I must say that when I load close to max, I like the WW cases as well, they work very well for me.