In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Slug & chokes

alan selfalan self Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
I've always though that you couldn't shoot slugs & rifled slugs in a shotgun with a choke. Now days they come with sleeves you can change the choke. Can I just not put in a choke and have a slug barrel ? Thanks

Comments

• 375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NO !

If your shooting the older , foster type slugs , I would use a Cylinder or Skeet choke , If your shooting Sabot slugs ( the ones with the sleeve ) then you need to get a choke tube that is " Rifled " for shooting these types of slugs .

Shooting your shotgun with NO choke inserted will /could damage the threads .

I believe this question has been asked several times in the past , just do a search on your question , you should find more anwsers .
  • alan selfalan self Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had been searching for a few days. It seem to do a search you have to have words & phrases just perfect.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can shoot slugs in any bore you would shoot shot through. Accuracy is PROBABLY best with a rifled barrel followed by a cylinder choke, but even full chokes can shoot well depending on the shotgun. HOWEVER, as stated, if the gun has choke tubes make sure one in installed to prevent thread damage.
  • GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They don't recommend shooting slugs through some of the extra full chokes. I think this is becase you could actually shoot the tube out of the barrel or maybe it is because the pressure could spike and could blow up the barrel.

If shooting foster-type (the common, less expensive "Rifled Slugs") I have tried them in barrels from cylinder bore (no choke) through modified choke. I have one smooth-bore slug barrel that shoots really well with the modified choke tube in it.

If you have a barrel that was made before the screw-in chokes tubes were available, and it has a full choke, I think it would be OK to shoot a few slugs through it but I have heard that sometimes the barrel could develop a ring (small bulge) just behind the choke area.

Some of the older guns, especially double barreled guns, have pretty thin steel barrels.

As for me, I wouldn't chance shooting slug through a full choke or tighter choke unless I had no other choice at the time.