In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WSM and SAUM questions

skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
There is some nice prices on 7mm Saum's lately. But a few questions, is the Remington brass okay or sub-par? I would guess you could get a 500 or more lot and cull by weight. Also, 300 SAUM brass could be run through a 7mm die? That would just be a single step correct.

How much velocity loss with 22" barrel as apposed to a 24" or 26". Is a Remington model 7 as common/easy to work on, change barrel, as a 700?

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently purchased rifles in 7 SAUM and .270 WSM as well as brass for both. Out of 100 7 SAUM cases, I had one that would not fit the appropriate shell holder (extraction groove not cut deep enough). Out of the 100 WSM cases, however, I had 10 that would not fit the WSM shell holder and about 16 that had severe wrinkles in the shoulder. (Pretty poor quality, at least appearance wise.) The SAUM is a Remington model Seven and the WSM is a Savage model 14. Both shoot extremely well--best load with the .270 WSM; four 5-shot groups averaged 1.2", and with the 7 SAUM; four 5-shot groups averaged 1.07". These loads equal or exceed, in velocity, what I'm able to get with my 7mm Remington Magnums.

As far as re-sizing .300 SAUM to 7, I'd guess it's possible but I'd expect some loss due to that wide, sharp shoulder. Also I'm a firm believer in using cases with the proper head-stamp when possible to avoid mix-ups.

The model Seven looks the same to me as a 700 except it's shorter at the receiver bridge resulting in a receiver and bolt that's 1/2" shorter than the short 700.

I think the 7 SAUM in the Remington Seven is one heck of a rifle.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    skyfish,

I have been a big proponent of the 7mm RSAUM since it was first released. Actually before since I got to do some of the initial testing.

The brass is perfectly suitable for most needs although, as you state, buying a bulk quantity allows for sorting and adjusting the brass for the best consistency. Besides, since you're asking about the Model Seven the probability of shooting competition targets is remote.

Yes, .300 RSAUM brass can be converted to 7mm by simply necking down the cases. use a good lubricant and make sure that your expander ball is polished. Perpendicularity and concentricity are key factors in maintaining the best rest results. Cast the chamber. Seat a bullet, measure the neck and turn if necessary. Be sure to trim the case mouths.

Between 22" and 26" there can be some noticeable improvement in velocity. Mostly it becomes a point of fine tuning loads though, as opposed to major significant increases. Sometimes a particular barrel is faster than another for no apparent reason. The opposite is true as well. It becomes a case of splitting hairs for most people.

Model Sevens are not as common as Model 700s although the rest of your questions are true. They are just as easy to work on usually. Barrels are not interchangeable like the adjustable Savages. Headspace and timing will be different from barrel to barrel and need to be set up in a lathe by a gunsmith for adjustments.

I wouldn't hesitate to take advantage of any good deals found on Model Sevens or the 7mm RSAUM.

Best.