In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Wildcat Load?

Can somebody please help with a starting load for a wildcat I'm having put together. I'm using a 376Styer case necked up to .423".
I'll be using Hornady 444FTX 265gr bullets resized to fit and maybe later some 350gr Woodleighs

Comments

• 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    What is the water capacity of your necked up case if you fill it to the top? Also what are you shooting it in and what pressures does it operate at?
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,133 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can derive some target values using only a calculator, if you have data for the parent cartridge. Use the following, as required.

Four general rules influence the end result of cartridge performance:
    ?
    #9658;If case capacity and bore size are constant, the potential velocity varies inversely at one half the percentage change of bullet weight.
    ?
    #9658;If case capacity and bullet weight are constant, the potential velocity varies at one fourth the percentage change of the bore area.
    ?
    #9658;If bore size and bullet weight are constant, the potential velocity varies at one fourth the percentage change of the case capacity.
    ?
    #9658;If all other factors remain the same, peak pressure varies at two OR three times the percentage change of velocity. (Double if on a psi scale, and triple if on a CUP.)
    ?
    ?
    All four rules assume that barrel length, bullet type, primer type and powder type remain the same. Bullet weight may be most important. Keep maker, tip and base shape, as well as weight the same if possible.
    ?
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • TreadlightlyTreadlightly Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, don't know what operating pressure will be but this is the info I have.
    OAL of the cartridge with Hornady cases and Hornady 265gr FTX is 2.875". Full capacity of case with water is 85.5gr. Barrel is Lothar Walther 10.75mm bore, 1"14 twist, 23" long. Rifle is the old warhorse Mauser 98. This is a modern action so I expect it be safe to operate to about 58,000psi.
    I'm in Australia so am limited to Vit, Win, Re and ADI powders [^]
    edited November -1
    What is the case length (no bullet) and case base diameter?
    edited November -1
    Doing some basic calculations looks like RE 12 or VV 135 is the powder to use. Still need the other two parts of information.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The case length = 2.350"

The head diameter = 0.501"

The rim diameter = 0.494"

I have the case volume of just a tad over 80.0 gr. but that's for the .375 bullets.
    edited November -1
    Thanks as usual nononsense. You are a wealth of firearm knowledge!
    Treadlightly start out with 58 to 60 grains of RL 12. Work you way up from there, at your own risk. Carefully! I would also have the Mauser double checked to be sure it is in good operating condition. Let us know how it turns out.
    edited November -1
    Thakyou for the input but can't get Re12 here. Gotta stick with Aussie powders. I figure about ADI2219-ADI2206[:(]
    edited November -1
    I will check to see what the calculator has for powders? Can you get VV?
    edited November -1
    Is the powder ADI AR 2206?
    edited November -1
    I do have some 2206 but am planning to go with 2219 at this stage
    edited November -1
    Try starting with 56 grains of 2219. Fire with a lanyard with the rifle supported and covered with sand bags. Watch for pressure signs and chrono the velocity and let me know what you get. We can make adjustments from there.
    edited November -1
    OK thanks. I'll give that a go.
    Just out of interest, how did you come about a figure of 56Gr of 2219?[?]
    edited November -1
    Its a computer program that uses case capacity and powder type to calculate a load. Nononsense gave me an estimated case capacity of 80 grains, you gave me 85 grains. I used the smaller number and put in powder type ADI 2219, used the closest bullet weight 280 grains and pushed the button. Pressure said about 40,000 psi so the load should be on the safe side. Once you are sure the receiver is safe you can go up from there at your own risk. You should have more room in the case to add more powder but I wouldn't go up to 58,000 thats a fairly old receiver and unless you really know its safe, I wouldn't go there. Velocity out of a 24 inch barrel should be about 2200 ft per second. That reason I was asking for velocity, its a way of feedback on how correctly its working.
    edited November -1
    OK thanks. Just wondering about using a load that doesn't have enough powder in the case.
    Also going by the handle you use, I'm guessing you have a bit of experience with 20cal's. Ever tried the 20VT. That's my other baby I'm playing with
    edited November -1
    Not sure what you mean not enough powder...case should be about 85% filled. Do you want me to take the pressures to 50K?

Yes I shoot the 20 VT. Great cartridge. Personally I think it is what Remington should have come out with rather than the 17 Fireball.
    edited November -1
    I meant "not enough powder" in that where a case doesn't have enough powder it can create what's called a secondary explosion or at least I believe that's what it's refered to as or in effect a delayed reaction.
    What's your best load for the 20VT?.
    edited November -1
    How full is the case? We can ask the question in ask the experts...or I can send a email to nononsense and ask him.

Favorite load for my 20VT is 18 grains of H4198 behind a 32 gr Hornady V-Max. MV is 3623 fps. 1/4 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards is the norm.
    edited November -1
    20 VT load sounds nice. I think that's equivalent to ADI 2207 (I hope so) I'll give that a go
    edited November -1
    The 18 grains is a max load...start lower and work up. My computer does not show ADI 2207 so I have no way to check it out.
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    I sent an email to nononsense about safety of an 80% to 85% fill. He said you will be fine. Recommended possiblity looking at a slower powder too.