In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

shotgun reloading prices

fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
ok so i was talking to a guy at the gun club about me starting to reload 20 & 12ga and he says it is not worth it since most reloaders only save around .40c per box on average. does this seem right? What does it cost you guys to reload 12 & 20 roughly. nothing fancy, 1225 fps or so #7-#8 shot 2 3/4 shells.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to price out stuff in current value. I still have bags of shot that were $6 for 25# and primers marked $12/1000. I also am still shooting powder I paid $2.65#. I also couldn't really careless that I save money (it gets spent for more shooting), but my ammo is tuned exactly for my gun and needs (priceless). Plus it something to do instead of rotting in front of the TV.
  • cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your friend is probably right. The price of components is very high and will remain so for the forseeable futue. You will have to invest at least a couple hundred to get started. The economy pack shells at Wal-Mart are the best buy for the occasional shooter.
  • Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    with shot near 50 bucks a bag these days,[:0], reloading only is advisable if u want to tailor ur loads.I like mine downloaded for cowboy shoots,so I still load them. I now have a source for reclaimed shot for less money,and for what we do at these shoots,it'll work just fine.
  • XP100XP100 Member Posts: 436 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Comparing your consistant reloads to the cost of Rem. Gun Clubs, Win. Super target, Fed. top guns and other less expensive rounds is not a good comparison. They are not always the same from lot to lot. If you compare your loads, using the same components everytime to Winch. AA, Remington STS's & Fed. Premium loads you will save 3.00+ per box and have very consistant loads that work in your gun.
    Sometimes it takes a while to find the right combo your gun likes, ie: wad, shot, powder & primer but once you gat a good load stay with it.
  • fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well my 1100 20 and 12 ga seem both love every box of remmington club 7 1/2 or 8. i consistantly shoot 23 on trap and 94 on sporting clays.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    If you make your own shot, and can get dealers price on powder , primers and wads, you can save a bunch. Depends on how much you shoot.. I go through a case a week and am down to around 2.00 a box to reload..
    edited November -1
    may shoot 200 shells a month give or take
  • XP100XP100 Member Posts: 436 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    fl23. If you started shooting reloads you might shoot 24's and 25's. You never know.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by XP100
    fl23. If you started shooting reloads you might shoot 24's and 25's. You never know.

oh i am sure i could however, i do it for fun until i find a reg stop to dove hunt.

either way the general consensise is that i will save more than .40c a box?

i already have a lee load all and 1k 209 primers. how many shells can i get from 1lb ROUGHLY at 1225-1250fps
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fl23in
    quote:Originally posted by XP100

oh i am sure i could however, i do it for fun until i find a reg stop to dove hunt.

either way the general consensise is that i will save more than .40c a box?

i already have a lee load all and 1k 209 primers. how many shells can i get from 1lb ROUGHLY at 1225-1250fps

About 17 grains of Red Dot per shell 7,000 grains per pound, 400 rounds.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have bulk components I purchased a long time ago.(for a lot less money than current prices)

I know lead shot is the biggest expense for a reloader.

I think at current market prices on components a new loader would find it more economical to buy ammo. Unless you have special needs for tuned or custom loads.

Right now the start up cost along with the high lead costs just isn't worth it IMHO.
  • dog1944dog1944 Member Posts: 295 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    12 and 20 ga you are better off buying the sharpies
    28 and 410 you can save a bunch at close to $20 a box I would have to stop shooting if I did not reload
  • benellisupersportbenellisupersport Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey..I reload...you can get shot from Gamaliel for $36.00 a bag....209 primers about 28.00 a thousand...I use claybuster wsfa and international clay powder.You can safe on hazmat and have it shipped to a gun club if you are a member.Powder Valley Inc has good prices.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Yes, our club makes a big order from Powder Valley about twice a year, powder, wads and primers. The club pays the hazmat and shipping, one of the benifits of membership. The last bunch of shot we got last fall, $30 a bag delivered. Might not be such a deal next time, my trucking buddy sold out and retired, he used to bring a pallet back for a case of beer. I'm afraid the freight rate will be higher this year.
    W.D.