In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone shoot the 41 magnum????

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
I have worked up a load for the 41 magnum. I shoot this load out of a marlin 1894 fg and my S&W 41 mag handgun. It is as follows: 10.3 Grains of unique powder, A hornady 210 grain XTP-HP bullet and a magnum primer. This load gives me 3/4 " groups at 50 yards and almost the same at 100. The load is devestating on white tail deer.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good shooting, nice group. Back in the old days Hercules nixed mag primers with the faster burning powders. Are you running pistol or rifle primers? My S&W 29's will set of rifle primers, however I usually load a cast round nose for the Win AE 94 44 mag with rifle primers and Lyman's 429421 SWC for the pistols. I ran tons of the old large grain 5744 but have switch over to BlueDot.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I'm like Charlie, pretty much settled on Blue Dot several years ago.
    For bowling pin shoots, I load a 215gr SWC by Oregon Trail over 13.2grs of Blue Dot with a Winchester WSP primer.
    I shoot this in a 6" model 57.
    W.D.
  • wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first load for a M657 Smith years ago was 10 gr of unique with 210 gr jacketed bullets. Worked fine. However, I now shoot most Freedom Arms revolvers (3 in 41 Mag). For them I load 20 gr of 2400 with the 210 XTP. It is very accurate in these revolvers. I still have the old M657. I do not punish it with this load. I back off a couple of grains of powder for it.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my 1894 Marlin and my 8 3/8" M-57 I used to run 14 grains of Blue Dot with a CCI LPM 550 primer and the Sierra Full Profile Match bullet. I liked the ability of the 220 grain bullet to penetrate and work the brush pretty well, too.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my 1894 Marlin and my 8 3/8" M-57 I used to run 14 grains of Blue Dot with a CCI LPM 550 primer and the Sierra Full Profile Match bullet. I liked the ability of the 220 grain bullet to penetrate and work the brush pretty well, too.
  • wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too used to use (Hercules) Blue Dot in my 657. Based upon my recall 14 gr was the charge. However, recently Alliant has stated that Blue Dot should not be used in 41 mags.

Apparently the new (Alliant) blue dot is somewhat different than Hercules blue dot.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Good shooting, nice group. Back in the old days Hercules nixed mag primers with the faster burning powders. Are you running pistol or rifle primers? My S&W 29's will set of rifle primers, however I usually load a cast round nose for the Win AE 94 44 mag with rifle primers and Lyman's 429421 SWC for the pistols. I ran tons of the old large grain 5744 but have switch over to BlueDot.

Magnum pistol primers is what I use. I will have to try some 2400 that other people suggested. I have a lot of that powder also. I use 2400 in my 22 hornet and 218 bee.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't enjoy the sharp recoil of full tilt Unique loads in the pistols. Nothing wrong with 2400. Bluedot is about 30% more cost efficient.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I've been watching this thread, so far nobody has offered up H110 as a powder for the .41.. This is the only powder my Redhawk has ever burned, except maybe when it was proof fired at the factory.
  • EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    I've been watching this thread, so far nobody has offered up H110 as a powder for the .41.. This is the only powder my Redhawk has ever burned, except maybe when it was proof fired at the factory.

I use H110 or BullsEye. With my loads they are simple to tell apart, if it is jacketed it is full house mag load for deer. If it is lead it is for small game and cans. [8D]
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.