In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

38 hbwc bullets

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
Anyone ever load a hbwc bullet with the hollow end out? Would be bad at close range. Thanks

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They function well at close range. A one gallon milk jug full of water will usually have only one hole in it. With the better choices of factory self defense ammo around today, I use one of them for several reasons.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A million years ago, when I reloaded for my S&W 52 target gun, I always would load up a batch "backwards" for my friend's .38 colt that he plinked and carried for small game.
    He loved them, soft recoil. very accurate at under 50 yards, and cheap too.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Several years back there was an article in a magazine that reviewed the good and bad points of this practice. For loading, the decrease in powder density (due to the flat base facing the powder rather than the hollowed base) that caused higher pressure was offset by the flatbase being uniformly pushed out of the barrel. The hollow base is limited in the amount of acceptable pressure due to the possibility of the edge of the hollow base being broken off, leaving it in the barrel if encountering higher pressures. Seems to me the conclusion was that they were an option for having a low recoil anti-personnel cartridge, but fell short of a higher recoil JHP.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I loveed shooting the 148 HBWC loaded backwards in the 357 mag with 6.5 graines of Unique. They wrecked havoc upon oranges, milk jugs, unopend soup cans and what not. [:D]
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to load the Hornady HBWC backwards for 9mm, .38 Spl and .357 mag. With that huge opening facing the air I got flyers on a regular basis and wouldn't use them except as a "house gun" load. In water or DuxSeal they are devastating expanders. The original HydraShok used this same load, but formed it with the post in the center to block some of the air getting in and destabilizing the bullet.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by peddler
    Anyone ever load a hbwc bullet with the hollow end out? Would be bad at close range. Thanks

YEP, did it in the late '60,s.
    Also have some vintage Taurus 146gr HS with a pin in the middle, like hydra-shok, to make them expand better [}:)]
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe Elmer Keith used to advocate this type of load.
  • ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Expansion, yes, but I would worry about a lack of penetration. Remember Miami.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is rediscovered every once in a while.
    Once upon a time, you might have been justified loading a HBWC backwards as a big mouth hollowpoint, but ammunition is better now.
  • noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just don't use data that assumes the case volume includes the HB. Loading backwards REALLY reduces the case volume, so pressure will shoot up very fast.
    Thankfully, most guns are VERY well made.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    We tried it 40-some years ago, but we could never get the bullets to stay oriented. They would cut full keyholes almost right out of the muzzles. It was luck of the draw as to whether they would hit backwards, forwards, sideways, quartering, or whatever, at any given distance. Belly-gun loads at card table distances, and that's about it.