In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Interesting video

guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
Any comments from our ballistically knowledgeable folks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH9SCbCBHaY

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    That is interesting. I didn't realize it would take that long for a bullet to stablize.
  • 264fan264fan Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks about right, I've always been told it takes boat tail bullets 200 yards to stabilize and over the years it has proven true with some bullets.
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be interesting to test a couple of my "pet loads" to see how they behave.

Just from an accuracy standpoint, my groups sizes never seem to double going from 100yds to 200yds. Usually about 1.5x at 200yds what they were at 100yds.

My 22-250 is funny though...it usually keps 1/2" groups all the way out to 200yds then opens up to 1 1/2" at 300. I suppose it could be other variable (including me or wind) that account for that.

I should set up targets every 25 yards out to 300yds and see what my results are.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a computer nerd"s work more than a serious target shooter....
    bob
    edited November -1
    Why do you think that?

It came from Berger Bullets, even though it was hosted on youtube. I believe it came from a real bullet's trajectory not a computer generated model.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It says "simulation". I also think to get 6 degrees of circular deviation you must have started with a very unstable bullet or bad shooting parameters to begin with. Wrong rifling pitch, barrel harmonics, etc, etc. I have found that the great boat tail bullets used for top accuracy are very critical as to barrel crowning. There are many loads and guns that group better at all ranges with flat base bullets than boat tails and yet computers say that shouldn't be. JMHO Bob
    edited November -1
    [:I] I must have missed the simulation part......

Like I said before. I have never noticed (as far as group sizes go) in any of my rifles.

When starting off with a new rifle/scope combo I first shoot at 25yds or 50 yds to make sure I'm on paper and the groups are usually tiny. The farther out the target is the larger the groups get.

I figured it was like that for all bullets.