In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Digital Powder Scale and Dispenser

Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
I've been out of the reloading game for a while and never used a digital/electronic powder scale and dispenser. However, I'd like to get back into the game and start using one. I have a battery of rifles I reload for, from 22-250 to 458 Win Mag. Can anyone recommend an electronic scale/dispenser that's worked well for them or which ones to avoid? Thanks.

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are all good: RCBS, PACT, or Lyman. I've been using the original RCBS since it came out and wouldn't give it up unless this one died. Hornady is coming out with one that I may test soon. It looked good at SHOT.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The RCBS 1500 combo has earned a good reputation, I sure like mine.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't argue with the above. Just my 2 cents the stand alone electronic scales in the past have been junk.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I sure like my Lyman DPSII, it is a all in one measure and scale.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got an RCBS 1500 combo a couple of months ago from Natchezss. They may still have them on discount.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the PACT combo and love it.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    A buddy and myself each have a RCBS Chargemaster. He has used his a lot for many loadings. I have run about 400 rounds of a single load on mine.

Both of us are happy.
  • idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the RCBS Chargemaster. I went through three Lymans in a week. They were all inconsistent. I would throw a charge, take the pan off the scale, put it back on and it would show a different weight. All three did that so I forked out the extra cash for the RCBS and it's been perfect for two years.
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I run the RCBS chargemaster. Love it, wouldn't trade for anything. Has been very accurate for me. I check mine a lot with RCBS and Lyman beam scales. Don't check as much since its always dead on.

2 notes.

I calibrate every time I use it or move it.
    Watch out for wind currents, heat/cool vents breath. Arm move too fast. Its sensitive.

I must admit, Lyman has one and can't compare and Hornady has announced one.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One point about idahoducker's remarks. Digital scales can take a few seconds to come to the actual weight. So after a load stops trickling, you will often seem to be a bit light on weight. Over a few seconds, however, the display will change by a tenth or two upwards.

It is comparable to watching the pointer of a balance beam scale oscillate a bit before it settles. It's normal - and inconsequential. When I use my RCBS (first generation model) and see the charge come up two tenths or so light, I know that it is actually right on. I could let it settle for a few seconds to prove that, but because it always does, I simply lift the pan and funnel the charge.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • kms1961kms1961 Member Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a pact cant get it to work here at all. works at my work even sent it back to pact still the same wont stabilize. might be my electric flow? wish i could run it on batterys so i would know.
    in my opion as for as pact stay away.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone once posted how his flourescent lighting was affecting his electronic scale. You may want to check some of the older posts. I believe it was a post comparing Pact vs RCBS.
  • 1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm looking at those myself. Hornady has a new combo that is to be out soon that looks good. I have bought a few sets of Hornady dies, but only when I couldn't find the RCBS and I was impatient. No problems at all. I know the RCBS combo is expensive. I have seen several on GB like the one in this link.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=164337144
    The hornady one can be seen at:
    http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-Auto-Charge-dispenser/

I don't think you would have a problem with either. Frankly, I've never ventured out much past RCBS or Hornady for reload equipment. Not saying there is ANYTHING wrong with Lyman, Lee, etc. I really couldn't say about them. I am buying some Lee stuff now for my new casting project. Partly because the RCBS stuff is a lot more expensive. Maybe that's for a reason I'll be reminded of. We'll see.

As far as getting back into it, it's better than it ever was. This site has been AWESOME. I just showed my eldest son how to load. He was amazed. We made some great M1 Garand loads, and he loves it. His mother hates it. Another reason it's so sweet [:D]