In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Press Ram Lubricant

dthhaldthhal Member Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
What lube do you guys use on your press to keep the ram lubed up?

I know, I know....check all joy buzzers at the door. Thanks.

Comments

• skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use lithium grease normally, my Hornady progressive I use either that or my high temp grease in my grease gun in the grease zirks(not sure on that spelling).

A little goes a long way.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just squirt a little of whatever is handy- CLP, Remlube, or similar. I use LEE so they're expendable. I do take them apart and lube the pivots occasionally with machine grease.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    royal purple maxfilm works wonders
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I'm like Mobuck. Any light oil that's handy.
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Silver and Black: LUBRIPLATE!
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Whenever it starts to stick, I have a can of light sillicone grease I spray on it. Have used oils too, but for it to be thick enough not to run off or dry, it has to be applied manually (no aerosol).
  • dthhaldthhal Member Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you gentlemen for your responses. Ive been using Remington oil on it but have found it starts to stick after about 200 rounds or so. I lube every time I load a batch now and it just seemed a bit excessive. So I was in search for something that may work better. Grease scares me because it picks up so much dust and grime. I would be afraid of getting powder gunk in the grease while depriming.

How often do you all use it? Just when it sticks or do you have a routine?
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I lube the ram on my RCBS press once every ten years or so - if I remember to. Doesn't seem to matter if I forget.

But then, I've only loaded a couple hundred thousand rounds on it.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
    edited November -1
    Just now breaking in then huh Rocky. [:D]

Do you just push through when it starts to stick? Or have you ever felt it stick?
    edited November -1
    It has never felt sticky at all.

Since posting, I thought a bit and actually can recall once putting a drop or two of oil at the top of the ram opening and then slowly lowering the ram. I just now rubbed the ram with a tissue and got the faintest trace of black. It doesn't feel oily.

I weighted the handle on mine until it is almost perfectly balanced. If I remove a little weight, the ram lowers by itself with no help. But there's no wiggle in it, either.
    edited November -1
    Man, Ive got to look closer at mine then. I think I'll clean it real good again and see if I can see anything that may be wrong.

Maybe I just need to load another 10,000 so to break it in.[:D]
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    20 some years ago I used "liquid graphite"....after about 5 years I cleaned the ram on my RCBS rockchucker with WD-40 wiped it down good and have never really lubed mine since. If it gets alittle sticky I just wipe the ram off with WD-40 and a rag....my 2 cents
    edited November -1
    It is inevitable that primer dust and similar crud will get in that space between press and ram. That's why you should brush the stuff away after every reloading session. If your ram drags or sticks, that may be the problem. A good cleaning can't hurt.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Dry Slide this is a product sold at most John Deere dealers . I don't like oils around primers when I first started loading on a rock crusher It got from ther ram to the shell holder head and then the primer punch killed about 50% of the primers. I take my Star head off one taper pin 10 second job and spray the ram once a year 5000-10000 rounds never had a problem.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just wipe mine down with 20w way oil. If it's good enough for my lathe, its good enough for my press.