In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Steel Shot Reloading Question

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
I have a MEC 600 Jr. If I ever wanted to load steel shot, would I only need a steel shot bar plus the components of course?

Comments

• Options
    336marlin336marlin Member Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe the rammer tube is also a little different; possibly to accomodate the thicker wads used for steel shot. But, with a little patience and an adjustment in proceedure it can be done.
  • Options
    Wagon WheelWagon Wheel Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    victorj19:

Mec sells a conversion kit, which includes a steel shot bottle, a steel shot rammer and a steel shot drop tube. The instructions stated that if the steel shot bottle is not used you will get "severe jamming of the charge bar". The rammer tube is straight walled to prevent the shot from jamming up in the tube and the drop tube is metal. The older machines have the steel drop tube but the newer ones are plastic, slightly shorter and won't hold up as well to the abrasion of the steel shot dropping. Of course, as you mentioned, the charge bars are different for steel shot also. One thing to remember if you are going to load steel shot: if you want the equivalent of say, #6 (lead) shot, you would use #4 (steel) shot.