In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What do you think about these reloads?

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=477770540

Was never familiar with the etronix stuff, let alone reloading it.

Comments

• jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well I think that:
    1. A commercial reloader with the proper licenses would have new boxes with his own labels on it.
    2. If just some basement bubba's reloading efforts I would pass- and selling them is borderline illegal.
    3. As for the conversion, I don't know enough about the electronically primed rounds to comment. But I'd worry that even if primer pockets were identical in size, brass weight/thickness/capcity was different enough to make it a bad idea.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    Well I think that:
    1. A commercial reloader with the proper licenses would have new boxes with his own labels on it.
    2. If just some basement bubba's reloading efforts I would pass- and selling them is borderline illegal.
    3. As for the conversion, I don't know enough about the electronically primed rounds to comment. But I'd worry that even if primer pockets were identical in size, brass weight/thickness/capcity was different enough to make it a bad idea.

I agree 100% with the Bubba reloading part of what you say. However, I'm under the impression that this guy pulled the bullets and powder, changed out the primers and reloaded them with the same stuff. I was mostly wondering about the primer conversion.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. Pro: LOOKS like a standard primer seated in a standard pocket.

2. Con: It is Somebody Else's Reloads. Are we SURE he got the factory powder and powder charge back in each and every one?
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Even if it was a case of simply transferring powder and swapping primers...

When you change ANY component, you work up.

We read that in all the load manuals, but here's my experience as to why I always follow that.

Some time ago I bought a .50 can full of boxed 8mm Belgian made surplus Mauser ammo. Clean looking stuff, and those that went off shot really well; but about 1/3 were hangfires and 1/10th didn't go off at all.

So, I though to pull them down, transfer powder and bullet to a new, freshly primed case. Original charge was 44 gr of chopped flake smokeless. Original ammo shot with no issues.

Despite a greater case volume with commercial 8mm brass than the surplus stuff, when reprimed with a Winchester standard LR primer, I got HORRIBLE pressure signs. Flattened primers, loose pockets, tight action. Simply by changing the primer, because as I said, the case itself actually had ever-so-slightly MORE volume (say 5 gr more or so) than the original.

Subsequently I worked up starting at 38 gr and found that in the Winchester cases I had, the new max was about 42 grains. Whether the original primers were hotter or cooler than the new ones I can't say; just that somehow it burned entirely differently.

I have no idea of the power of an Etronix primer vs. the CCI he replaced them with, but if he just transferred the loads to a case with a conventional primer, I wouldn't want any part of it.
  • TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

We read that in all the load manuals, but here's my experience as to why I always follow that.

Some time ago I bought a .50 can full of boxed 8mm Belgian made surplus Mauser ammo. Clean looking stuff, and those that went off shot really well; but about 1/3 were hangfires and 1/10th didn't go off at all.

So, I though to pull them down, transfer powder and bullet to a new, freshly primed case. Original charge was 44 gr of chopped flake smokeless. Original ammo shot with no issues.

Despite a greater case volume with commercial 8mm brass than the surplus stuff, when reprimed with a Winchester standard LR primer, I got HORRIBLE pressure signs. Flattened primers, loose pockets, tight action. Simply by changing the primer, because as I said, the case itself actually had ever-so-slightly MORE volume (say 5 gr more or so) than the original.

Subsequently I worked up starting at 38 gr and found that in the Winchester cases I had, the new max was about 42 grains. Whether the original primers were hotter or cooler than the new ones I can't say; just that somehow it burned entirely differently.

I have no idea of the power of an Etronix primer vs. the CCI he replaced them with, but if he just transferred the loads to a case with a conventional primer, I wouldn't want any part of it.

+1
    When you're dealing with something hanging next to your face, caution is better than economy
    edited November -1

+1
    When you're dealing with something hanging next to your face, caution is better than economy
    edited November -1

+1
    edited November -1

+1
    edited November -1
    I guess I really meant what I said!
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    30 bucks a box for reloads?????

Gimme a break.
  • wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone wants them.