In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Tumbling cases: How long?

JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
Hey guys. I just ordered a Hornady tumbler from Cabelas along with some nut shell media because somebody told me it worked the best. I also ordered some polish to add with it. Supposedly a couple cap fulls dumped in with the media polishes the brass like new.

I've never used one before so I had a couple questions. First off, how much time should I let the brass tumble for? Assuming I have it loaded with 3 to 400 .45 casings. Mainly full.

Is it better to not pack it full? Will it do a better job if there's more meda and more room?

How much media does it take to fill the pot? I ordered 17 lbs so I'd have a decent amount on hand. 1/2 lb, 1 lb?

How long does the media last? Can you use the same stuff for a few batches? I read a comment that someone ran thousands of brass cases through one without changing the media.

Can't wait to get this thing.

Comments

• Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a lot of variables to determine the time needed to clean cases. Some of them are, how dirty the cases are, how tightly they are packed in the tumbler, how much media vs. how many cases you put in the tumbler, how clean you want the cases, etc.

I've never used polish with my walnut media, so I can't answer any questions about that. I've only added polish with my corn cob media. In order to get proper distribution of the polish in media, put just the media in the tumbler, add your polish, and let it vibrate for about 15 min, before adding the cases.

I get good results when I have the tumbler about 3/4 full. You'll know it's too full if you don't see the cases flow from the bottom to the top around the outer edge of the tumbler.

Good Luck. [:)]
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    a. as long as it takes (depends on how dirty/tarnished the brass is) usualy 4/6 hrs. sometimes 24 hrs.
    b.about 1/2 full with about that much in casings (should be about 2/3 full when working
    c. it lasts a long as it lasts, it all depends on how dirty the brass is and how many you clean.
    run the machine for some time after adding the 'polish' to the media to let it mix and dry.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Hi Jack,

The answer to all of the questions is, "it depends."

1. How dirty is the brass? If basically clean, a half hour to remove any range dirt is enough. If grungy, stained, etc., up to 2-3 hours could be needed. This also depends on the tumbling media and how full it is.

2. It does a better job if there is some room in it, but there's a happy medium; just a few cases is no good, the brass banging into brass seems to help with the cleaning. 300 .45 cases would be about right, no more than 100 to 150 30-06 for instance.

3. Depends, again. I usually fill mine so it is about 3/4 full with brass and media. More than 1 pound, less than 5.

4. Depends how dirty the brass is and whether you tumble after sizing. If fairly clean and you aren't using it to remove lube, one batch could last quite a while- a year perhaps. If you have really dirty brass or you tumble your cases after sizing to remove lube (I don't, I dunk them in boiling water to remove lube) then it only lasts perhaps 8-10 uses.

What I do is use one batch for initial cleaning, then a second batch to remove case lube after sizing (IF I don't use the boiling water trick). I like blasting media as it is fine enough that it doesn't clog flash holes, which happens if you tumble after sizing with an exposed primer pocket.

Personally I find the best polishing agent of all is a small amount of odorless mineral spirits. Also dirt cheap.

Edit: If you want the cases shiny, before tumbling soak them in a white vinegar/hot water solution or even better, a citrus acid and hot water solution. It's mild enough it won't hurt the brass, removes tarnish, leaves the cases looking a little orange in color, but then half an hour in the tumbler they are bright and new and dry too. Beats tumbling them for a DAY! Ick!
  • NordicwargodNordicwargod Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "4-6 hours and up to 24 hours" ?????
    My god, are you going to shoot them or show them off?
    I load about 250-400 rounds per week. I tumble them for about an hour to "clean" them enough. You want to remove any dirt/powder/grime and then load them up. If you are using a carbide sizer die it will probably leave it shiny just from the sizing and a carbide factory crimp die will finish it up.
    I know, I know! Some people are really * about reloading, they will clean each primer pocket, seperate cases by headstamp, seperate the brass from the nickel, chamfer the flash hole. Maybe for precision rifle shooting!! If your going to load and shoot lots of .45 or any other semi auto caliber your going to lose some anyway, if you shoot in matches you may lose all of it. Also I put as much in my two tumblers that will fit and tumble, no sense doing several batches.
    Corncob works fine, walnut works fine, I use rice. Works well and is cheap. Don't have to pay for over-priced shipping either. If you want to use walnut go to a pet store and get their lizard litter. It works just as good.
    My two cents.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The crushed walnut shell media "cleans" as it has sharper edges and is harder than corn-cob. The corn-cob with polish then shines the cases. The odds of ever getting a "factory" shine is very small because of the impacts the brass has taken since it let the assembly line. I have two Dillon 2000 tumblers one for walnut and one for corn-cob. I only use the corn-cob for critical use brass - needs to feed and function perfectly every time. The rest I clean and load.
  • JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 62fuelie
    The crushed walnut shell media "cleans" as it has sharper edges and is harder than corn-cob. The corn-cob with polish then shines the cases. The odds of ever getting a "factory" shine is very small because of the impacts the brass has taken since it let the assembly line. I have two Dillon 2000 tumblers one for walnut and one for corn-cob. I only use the corn-cob for critical use brass - needs to feed and function perfectly every time. The rest I clean and load.

This is good info. Does anybody mix the corn cob media with the crushed walnut? Or is it best to use them separately? It's also good to know what to expect from the cleaning so I won't be disappointed.

Is it best to re-size and de-prime the cases before cleaning? I've seen some photos showing the old primers still in the cases after a cleaning. Will dirty cases eventually make the sizing die dirty or does it matter? I'd prefer to pop the primers out before cleaning.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can tumble with the primers in or out, but if you tumble after depriming be prepared to inspect every flash hole for stuck bits of tumbling media.

The dirt won't make your die "dirty", but it will scratch the heck out of it and those scratches will in turn leave scratch marks on every case run through them. The main reason to clean the cases is to remove the dirt/grit from them. Making the brass "shiny" is a side benefit.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    ""4-6 hours and up to 24 hours" ?????'.............I use malnut media (sportsmans wharehouse 5 gal. bucket/$24.95) with polish added in a big dillion 'vibrator'. and, yes, it takes that long to get a 'good' shine on somewaht clean brass, the stuff thats been outside on the ground for a year (dark brown) may take up to a day to come clean depending on how old the 'load' of media is. a buddies .45 brass spend so much time in the tumbler you can't read the headstamps!
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    Until they are clean and bright![;)]
  • NordicwargodNordicwargod Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ".....buddies .45 brass spend so much time in the tumbler you can't read the headstamps!"

Just think about that for a second. If the headstamp is worn off from tumbling then what about the rest of the case? I'll let you draw your own conclusions.
    As long as they are clean. Shiny is up to you as with oxidation they don't go hand in hand.
    I've also run across my share of "dark" oxidized cases. I tumble them and get em clean, then load them. They are still dark and work fine. I do inspect all of them.
    I've used walnut, corncob, and now rice. Corncob will leave it more shiny if thats what you want.
  • USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JackBwr

Hey guys. I just ordered a Hornady tumbler from Cabelas along with some nut shell media because somebody told me it worked the best. I also ordered some polish to add with it. Supposedly a couple cap fulls dumped in with the media polishes the brass like new.

I've never used one before so I had a couple questions. First off, how much time should I let the brass tumble for? Assuming I have it loaded with 3 to 400 .45 casings. Mainly full.

Is it better to not pack it full? Will it do a better job if there's more meda and more room?

How much media does it take to fill the pot? I ordered 17 lbs so I'd have a decent amount on hand. 1/2 lb, 1 lb?

How long does the media last? Can you use the same stuff for a few batches? I read a comment that someone ran thousands of brass cases through one without changing the media.

Can't wait to get this thing.

let me state my OPINION:
    you made a mistake in buying a Hornady tumbler, it is actually a vibrator, nut shells, corn cob, polish.., useless !

you should have gotten a Thumlers Tumbler 1_2.png

and stainless steel pins, media.png

then you use "Lemi-Shine" (found in dish washing aids in the grocery stores, used if hard water) , Tide dish washing detergent. i use this, and i get factory new brass, i de=cap first with a universal de-capping die, put about 300, 5.56mm cases in the tumbler, half teaspoon of Lemi-Shine, a table spoonful+ of Tide, fill with water till it is about one inch below the top, put on lid, screw down tight and tumble for two - three hours. your brass will be clean inside, out and primer pockets clean and shiny.

let me reiterate..., just my OPINION !!
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wet tumble with stainless pins in a Thumlers for 1 hour. Cases are clean, and these are black powder 45-70's. I would start at 1 hour, and then check if they need more time. The other option is give the nut shells back to the squirrels and send it back, and get a Thumlers...[8D]
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most rifle cases I handle go in the vibrator 3 times. First time is to clean the crud off/out of the brass. Second is to clean the sizing lube off. Third is after trimming and/or primer pocket work and to put some shine on them.
    I use 3 vibrators so I don't contaminate the final media with lube or grit. If I have a large amount of brass to run in a single lot, I will swap out the media and run all 3 machines to get the job done quicker.
    I prefer nut hull media over cobs but scored a buy on 1/2 barrel of cob media so have been using it for final polish the last year. Makes more dust which I dislike.
  • USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bartman45
    I wet tumble with stainless pins in a Thumlers for 1 hour. Cases are clean, and these are black powder 45-70's. I would start at 1 hour, and then check if they need more time. The other option is give the nut shells back to the squirrels and send it back, and get a Thumlers...[8D]

right on man !! many DITTOS !! [:D] [:D]
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    Most rifle cases I handle go in the vibrator 3 times. First time is to clean the crud off/out of the brass. Second is to clean the sizing lube off. Third is after trimming and/or primer pocket work and to put some shine on them.
    I use 3 vibrators so I don't contaminate the final media with lube or grit. If I have a large amount of brass to run in a single lot, I will swap out the media and run all 3 machines to get the job done quicker.
    I prefer nut hull media over cobs but scored a buy on 1/2 barrel of cob media so have been using it for final polish the last year. Makes more dust which I dislike.

With wet tumbling in a Thumlers there is no dust, and no need to ever replace the ss media. Listening to 3 vibrators all going at once would make me start to vibrate.[:D]