In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

turret press opinions

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
Wanting to do more pistol shooting but not so much that I want a progressive, not yet that is and am looking at the Redding T-7 press. I like the idea of a multi stage non auto indexing press. I also like the ability to have up to 3 different calibers on the same turret. Any thoughts on this or any other turret presses? Thanks.

Todd

Comments

• 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Started out with a Star in the '70s and it is a great piece of engineering, but very expensive to buy and to maintain. Bought a Dillon 550B for less than Star wanted to rebuild their unit and have been very happy with it. Their warranty is incredible. I break something and they fix it or replace it FREE! That's where I would look.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I would agree, spend the money one time, buy a Dillon, you'll be happy you did.
    W.D.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    I would agree, spend the money one time, buy a Dillon, you'll be happy you did.
    W.D.

++10,000 I have two SD-B,s set up for small and large pistol primers.
    Also have a old Lyman All American that I bought in mid '70,s that I used for years until went with the SD-Bs [;)]
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Which dillon would be the best one for me? Since I don't shoot alot of rifle my Rock Chucker will be fine for that, but it looks like I can't use my existing Hornady pistol dies in the SD-B, am I correct?
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I might get some flack but IMOP, Turret presses I like for rifle or pistol when your loading for accuracy meaning you are paying attention to every single round loaded and not doing bulk like .223. I am not Poo Pooing Dillions buy any stretch don't get me wrong! They are a great press!

I am a Lyman Turret Diehard.[:D] 400 rounds in 2 days, but the deviation is around 1%
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67
    Which dillon would be the best one for me? Since I don't shoot alot of rifle my Rock Chucker will be fine for that, but it looks like I can't use my existing Hornady pistol dies in the SD-B, am I correct?

Square Deal B. It is the basic Dillon progressive and comes from the factory set up for the caliber of your choice, including a set of Dillon carbide dies. I think this press will also accept any 7/8" dies. I'm using RCBS dies with my 550 and they work just dandy.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The SD-B is progressive and uses dillon's dies at $85-$95 each, while the 550 is about $75 more and non progressive, however you can use standard 7/8x14 dies.

quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog

Square Deal B. It is the basic Dillon progressive and comes from the factory set up for the caliber of your choice, including a set of Dillon carbide dies. I think this press will also accept any 7/8" dies. I'm using RCBS dies with my 550 and they work just dandy.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The SD-B is progressive and uses dillon's dies at $85-$95 each, while the 550 is about $75 more and non progressive, however you can use standard 7/8x14 dies.

quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog

On further reading at Dillons site it appears that I was incorrect and that the SD-B does use some type of proprietary die.
    If you're set on using your existing dies then the 550 would be the one to choose.
    I shoot a lot of 40 S&W and am able to turn out 100 rounds in a bit under 10 minutes with my 550.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    +1 on the Lyman turret. Many good used available for about $75. I use mine for all my final crimp dies, but you can load plenty of pistol rounds quickly on one.

+1 on the SD-B. I own several and like them better then my 550 for pistol. Yes they require Dillon die sets, but there's quite a few available used and I like the adjustments better then std. dies.

-10 for the Lee progressives, don't be dupped into these because of price. Yes they can make good ammo, but "something" always seems to be wrong, powder dropper, rotation, worn parts, etc.
    Forgot to add: I believe RCBS makes a turret that fits on your Rock Chucker, may want to check that out.
    Best of luck
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    The Dillon BL550 is capable of becoming a "progressive" press with the addition of more 550B parts, uses standard dies, and can be converted to any of 18 calibers by adding caliber conversion parts.
    It goes for around $260 (according to the Blue Press for December).
    There is no "auto-indexing", and you do each step 1 at a time through the various dies.

The Square Deal is an "auto-indexing", multi-position toolhead, proprietary die using, factory set-up press capable of making as many rounds an hour as you are able to feed primers, powder, and cases to. It does feature a skeletonized handle, and goes for about $380, set up for 1 caliber of your choice.

The RL550B is a full-on progressive that can be run as a single stage(dunno why), and sizes/deprimes, seats a new primer, bells the case mouth while measuring powder, seats the bullet, then applies whatever crimp you want, and ejects a loaded round with each pull of the handle after the first 3 pulls.
    You have to move the case through the various stages by hand (whaaa!), and can remove any case during the sequence by pulling the pin next to it.
    The 550B can load up to around 600 rounds an hour, but not as a "single stage".

I have no idea why anyone would want several sets of different caliber dies on a single turret, but admire the OCD potential.

I used to spend days turning out enough ammo for the weeks' matches on my RCBS Rockchucker, tumbling brass in a pillowcase full of rice (in the dryer), then hand de-priming and belling the mouth of each and every case, repriming, adding powder, seating a bullet, then adding a little crimp, or maybe a little more, micrometer in hand the whole time, worrying that I may have left something out.

When I got my 550B in the mail (UPS, actually), it took about 20 minutes to find and identify all the pieces, assemble them, and load the powder hopper and primer tube.
    My "downfall" was when I discovered that I didn't order spare powder drop dies for the many calibers I was ready to load.
    A quick call to Dillon fixed that, and within 3 days, I got 2 more dies, and a free replacement parts kit.
    When I stuck the primer slide under the shellplate (bonehead thing to do, I know); 1 call to Tech had me up & running again after a 3-minute lull.

I don't know (or care) what the Lyman/Star/Rooster Cogburn press does or costs; I've got my Dillon.[:D]
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I had and stupidly sold a Redding. Great press. The only negative I can see is that the point of attachment for the turret is central, which could lead to slight flexing and/or binding.

The Lee Classic Cast turret press is great, their others, not so much. I load 80% of my ammo on it.

I certainly can't say anything bad about the Lyman model either.

As for progressives, I agree, the Lee ones- well, they make ammo, but require constant tinkering, and I'd advise against them. You cannot go wrong with a Dillon, they are fine machines, but I feel just a bit overpriced and overhyped. I would look hard at a Hornady or Lyman progressive if you go that route; RCBS may also be good, but again, I find is a bit overpriced for what you get.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    I might get some flack but IMOP, Turret presses I like for rifle or pistol when your loading for accuracy meaning you are paying attention to every single round loaded and not doing bulk like .223. I am not Poo Pooing Dillions buy any stretch don't get me wrong! They are a great press!

I am a Lyman Turret Diehard.[:D] 400 rounds in 2 days, but the deviation is around 1%

+1

I have a Lyman Turret press that cranks out .38's & .357's.[;)]
  • noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All a turret is to me is a place to store dies. Get a progressive. I prefer the Hdy L-N-L AP, until one needs a case feeder, at which point, you might as well bite the bullet, so to speak, and get a Dillon 1050.
    I think I would prefer to get a Lee Pro 1000, and hand prime, than NOT have a progressive for pistol loading.
  • M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    I had a Lyman T mag II turret press until recently. I sold the Lyman and bought a Dillon 550b.

Dillon kicks *! Don't bother with a turret press, get the 550b! Excellent press, works great!!!

Blue Kool-Aid tastes great!!!
  • NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I swear by my Lee Classic Turret Press. Admittedly I'm new, only about 3 years, but I've loaded over 20,000 pistol rounds and 15,000 rifle rounds (6 total calibers) through it in that time. An incredible amount (for me) of great shooting ammo. The press has worked great.

I use an RCBS Chargemaster electronic dispenser/scale, not the Lee powder dropper. Don't have anything bad to say about it, I just load each shot by hand.