In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.40 S&W accurate loads

geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
Purchasing a S&W M&P .40 Pro CORE - 5" barrel.

This is for target "games". Need some reloading recommendations to start with and then I'll modify them for the gun, or modify the gun for them.

Was thinking 165 gr. FMJ FP, but open to other bullet types and weight. Give me a starting point if you can.

Thanks
Thanks for all the info. I will be using this for major powder IDPA. Already an experienced reloader with many books and powders to choose from, and a Bullseye shooter. Just looking for a new game and a specific load for that gun. Will start with 135 gr. SWC and see how it feeds. Again, thanks for all the input.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No real experience. Pistol powder around here is still hard to find.

From the Lyman 49th edition "Accuracy in most handguns is very good, especially with Bullseye, Winchester 231, and Accurate Arms #5."

In the loading data for 165 gr. TMJ, Power Pistol was designated as potentially most accurate. Starting 6.3 gr 855 fps 17,900 CUP Max 7.0 953 22,000

Powders listed Bullseye, 231, Unique, AA#5, Power Pistol, N340, N350, 3N37, True Blue, HS-6, 800X and Blue Dot.

4" barrel on a Universal receiver Win WSP primers Win cases
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not shoot .40 and cannot spoon feed you a "recipe" for success.
    But from experience in other pistol calibers, I think you will get best accuracy with a good JHP. GOOD cast will do very well.
    You might not be able to tell a difference with FMJ, but plated bullets seem to be the last choice for target shooting.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I'll give you a load that I use in IDPA out of a Glock 35. YMMV of course!
    4.3 grains of TiteGroup and a Berry's 180 grain round shoulder plated bullet lit with CCI small pistol primers.
    It's not a barn burner but it functions the gun very nicely and is reasonably accurate.
    What kind of target "games" are you playing?
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 40S&W's, but for most target games, unless there is a minimum power rating for each class, I try to stay with a 9mm, for the recoil and cost point of view.

I too am curious about which games you are looking at.
  • noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Accuracy: I can't afford jacketed bullets. 155-175gn L-SWCs have been the most accurate (<2.5" at 25 yards, with best load staying under 2"). Most accurate powder has been AA5, but don't go much above mid-range. Next best powders have been Silhouette and True Blue.
    If I could afford jacketed bullets, I would first go with JHPs of 145-155gn. I would look at Zero Bullets and Precision Delta.
    If you are thinking action pistol, then accuracy is not the issue--you want fast recovery time after firing. For this, most like a heavy (180-200gn bullet and a light load of fast powder. Even plated bullets may be more than adequate.
    My prejudice is that 9x19 is better for minor and .45 is better for major, but that is me and NOT the popular decisions.
  • texasbeanmantexasbeanman Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have loaded 1,000's with Power Pistol. My choice is 6.7 Grains under a Berry's 180 grain RNFP FMJ with CCI SPP. Shooting at 25' will produce 2" or better groups. I have tested with 6.2 to 7.0 Grains. And the 6.7 works the best in all of my S&W .40. HK VP40, Sig 250 compact, FNS-40 and Glock 27. Try it and let me know how it works for you.
  • texasbeanmantexasbeanman Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by texasbeanman
    I have loaded 1,000's with Power Pistol. My choice is 6.7 Grains under a Berry's 180 grain RNFP FMJ with CCI SPP. Shooting at 25 yards
    will produce 2" or better groups. I have tested with 6.2 to 7.0 Grains. And the 6.7 works the best in all of my S&W .40. HK VP40, Sig 250 compact, FNS-40 and Glock 27. Try it and let me know how it works for you.
  • noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are no major or minor power factors in IDPA. Given the gun you're shooting you will only need to achieve a minimum power factor of at least 125. With 135 grain bullets you will need to push them up to at least 926 FPS. Using 165 grain bullets you will need 758 FPS and with 180's only 695 FPS.
    Keep in mind that along with that extra velocity you're going to get a lot more muzzle blast and snappier recoil. The load I listed above shoots very smooth and allows for nice quick follow up shots, something you will want in IDPA.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I am using 180 gr FN FMJ with 231. Works great.