In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 700 ejector sticks sometimes?

Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
Remington 700, nice clean stainless rifle, 7mm WBY mag version.

Any one have any idea and a cure for a ejector that sticks flush to the bolt face sometimes.
I can take a sharp pointed bullet and push on it few times and it will pop back out under good spring tension and will operate ok when pushing with the bullet point.
Will eventually stick again after few shots with factory ammo. Always operated ok and just started doing it this season. (gun is about 20 years old. (the wby version that Remington made as a tribute to Roy Wby in late 90's)
This is the spring loaded ejector that ejects the hull after firing.
When it sticks the hull just sits in the bolt face when the bolt is pulled back and the empty case has to be extracted by hand.

I know how to take the bolt apart, just have not done so yet.
Wondering if maybe small foreign object is inside the bolt at this area causing such. I lubed it awhile back And it still sticks erratically. I've seen some Winchester 70's have this problem also.

Comments

• 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take the bolt down and check the ejector plunger for any burrs or rough spots, may be very small. Buff out with crocus cloths or a fine stone. If nothing on the plunger check the plunger channel for any foreign matter or any burrs there. If you find something try cleaning it with a pipe cleaner or a toothpick, if that doesn't work then try some gentle work with a small round Swiss needle file. Good luck.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 62fuelie
    Take the bolt down and check the ejector plunger for any burrs or rough spots, may be very small. Buff out with crocus cloths or a fine stone. If nothing on the plunger check the plunger channel for any foreign matter or any burrs there. If you find something try cleaning it with a pipe cleaner or a toothpick, if that doesn't work then try some gentle work with a small round Swiss needle file. Good luck.

I can handle that. Might be couple weeks. I'll check it when I get snowed in. I'll report back the findings.

Thanks
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is what I would do. Plus look at the coil spring - sometimes the end can stick out and dig into the sides.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Remington-33454/Rifles-37895/700-39555/PartsList-34251.htm?results=All
  • waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a Ruger rifle once that did that. From the out side everything looked good, after I took the plunger and spring out I seen that the spring was well rusted and broken, after I replaced the spring and cleaned everything up it worked find. Ever since then bolts with plunger and springs I keep well oiled and greased.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "I had a Ruger rifle once that did that. From the out side everything looked good, after I took the plunger and spring out I seen that the spring was well rusted and broken, after I replaced the spring and cleaned everything up it worked find. Ever since then bolts with plunger and springs I keep well oiled and greased."

I had a customer bring in a Rem 700 that had a case "stuck" in the bolt face. After I got it apart, I found the bolt face, extractor, and ejector were all rusted (kind of wonder how he got the bolt closed on the round). Complete strip, clean, and lube put the rifle back in service but it really should have had the ejector, it's spring, and the retainer pin replaced(2 days before deer season did not allow proper repair).
    I suspect the reason for the rust was the guy brought his cold rifle inside and stuck it in the corner butt down allowing whatever moisture condensed in the bore to accumulate on the bolt face causing the rust.
    edited November -1
    Got rained in today, took the ejector out and found a itty bitty piece of brass sliver that was causing the ejector to hang up.

Easily made a ejector and spring holding tool to hold the ejector and spring in place and to remove tension from the pin. Found a small sheet metal screw that the head would go inside the end of the empty hull and installed it into a wooden block to help hold a empty hull in place inserted into the end of the bolt face while the hull was hanging on the extractor. Worked great for taking it apart and re-installing the cross pin.

Thanks for the tips.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those "easy fixes" make gunsmiths(?) good money. Glad you got it on your own.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    Those "easy fixes" make gunsmiths(?) good money. Glad you got it on your own.

You previously mentioned about hunters bring cold guns from outside into warm places and just sit them in corner and let condensed moisture have it's way with the gun and scope and don't even realize or care what takes place.
    I've seen just the opposite happen going from warm to a very cold outside, water condenses then freezes on the gun and inside the barrel and they think that bring it inside is taking care of the gun. During hunting season and cold weather I leave my hunting gun outside away from heat so as no condensate or ice forms stored usually in a hard storage case or in non heated room.
    I seen a real nice 243 a friend had and it all at once during a very cold weather deer season started shooting wild groups and he was one that always brought his gun inside for the night. Don't know for sure but I suspect he had fired it with ice condensate that had formed inside the barrel and upset the barrel.

I've seen several hunters that thinks they are really taking care of their guns by bring them inside and sleeping and cuddling with them at night.[:0]