In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Storing Ammo (Markron Sealer)

dthhaldthhal Member Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
As my stockpile of reloaded ammo grows Ive been looking at using Markron primer/bullet sealer to help with storage. Anyone use this? Any adverse effects? It says that it doesnt effect anything but I want to make sure by asking those who have used it.

Id like to use the sealer and then vaccum seal my boxes and put in ammo cans. Anyone do this for their ammo?

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All it is is a thinned nail polish.

That said, unless your storing your ammo underwater, why bother?
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The loaded ammo you have now should be good for a lot longer than you will live as long as it is stored in a dry stable temperature. Sealing the primer, bullet is not necessary, vacuum packing is also a bit of overkill for shelf life.

To test this theory take a loaded round and soak it in a cup on water for a few hours. It will still shoot just fine.

Cast lead bullets could be an issue if the lube bleeds into the powder from heat.
  • airmungairmung Member Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I throw in a dessicant pack and vacuum seal it, then put it in a contractor's heavy trash bag inside of a box. No tarnish after several years so far. Also works for powder, primers, etc.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Always figured vacuum sealing to be pointless. The loaded ammo is airtight. You suck the air out around it, you're not sucking the air out of the loaded case. In fact, you might pop the bullet out from the pressure differential.