In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

herter's die sizing question

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
I purchased a set of herter's dies in 44 mag and am having an issue. After sizing 50 rounds of brass I loaded one round to find the bullet was loose in the case. I then tried to put bullets in sized brass and found some cases were a tight fit and others the bullet would just fall into the case ( the die setting was not changed) . Is there something I am missing? I tried to crimp the case mouth by screwing the die further down and again no change. Any suggestions?

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the sizing die is correct the issue might be brass that is too thin. Is it Remington brass perchance?

If possible use a set of calipers to check the inside diameter of the sizing die and tell us what it measures.
  • joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just measured the inside .452- and cases are mixed having issue with federal as well as the remington ( I double checked the sizing die and it is stamped 44 mag)
  • 76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you certain you have run the cases through a sizer die? I ask this because some of the older three die sets for handgun cartridges the sizing die looks almost like a trim or crimp die (hollow in the center), and the cases require lube. The second die decaps the primer and flares the case mouth, and the third die seats and crimps. Herters, to my knowledge, has not manufactured die sets for many years, and it is possible the dies you have are this style.

If the cases were only ran into the decapping die, then they would not be resized and the bullets would fall into the case.
    edited November -1
    76k20- good call out but I just double checked - and it is a 2 die set (box states " sizing and seating die" I then checked each die - one says 44 mag sizing die and the other says 44 mag seating die.
  • 76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never seen a two die set in 44 magnum.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Get rid of that two die set and get a RCBS or Lyman carbide set. You need a three die set for stright wall brass to load them right.
    edited November -1
    Your right on Dick, I bought a set RCBS dies last night cause I figured the same thing. Lesson learned.