In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloading for the 500 sw (primers)

i just picked up a sw 500 in 4" and i reload so of course im going to reload for this as well , i am finding limited info on this but have found some good sites , BUT i just found one that talks about cases pre 03 took pistol cases and now are marked with lr for rifle cases /
my question is i have also scrounged up some 500 brass and there a mix some with an R some without .
i know the rifle case the primer pocket is a bit deeper , the question is do i have to use a mix of primers , can i still use my cci 350 in all the cases or do i need to just use rifle in the ones marked so .

also anyone have loads they would like to share please do so . for now im setting on a lot of ols 50 ae projectiles and would like to use them up first there raniner 335

thanks

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How hot are you pushing them? The "R" is for rifle primers at least on Starline brass. I generally try and work with 500 or 1000 cases from the same lot. Makes life a lot easier to process the brass for its whole life cycle.

The Lyman 49th lists one cast bullet 375 grain if your raniner are plated. For jacketed bullets they have: 275, 325, 350, 375, 400, 500 grain bullets.
  • Options
    lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Short answer, yes, separate the cases and use rifle primers on the R and pistol on the other.
    I keep them separate and use the pistol primers with plated/FMJ and the R with cast bullet since I do a lot more with cast bullets.
    I've been told the 50 AE bullets are too fragile for the 500 S&W, I've used them but only for plinking/target so I can't address this as far as penetration on game.
    I've used the Ranier plated bullets with good accuracy but tend to use only 440 grain cast bullets for economy.
    I find backing off on loads results in more pleasant shooting and better accuracy but still run full power through it occasionally.
    Don't have my load chart in front of me but I like Tite-Group somewhere between 14 and 16 grains, I've found it to be the best powder for repeatability which may have something to do with the position sensitivity i.e. Tite Group is not as position sensitive in a large case as some others.
    Good Luck
    Dan R
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    i found some info on rainier 335 bullet and h110 @ 40gr powder
    (37-43gr i have seen)
    and a mix on primers one talks of cci350 one with rifle primers ,
    getting a mix of info

some talk good about using the 50ae bullets most like 440gr for the 500
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Large rifle and large pistol primers have different heights. (and different depth to the primer pockets in the cases. A rifle primer will not fit in a pistol primer pocket without excessive crushing.
    A pistol primer inserted in a pocket intended for a rifle primer will either not be fully seated or it will be excessively below the head of the case. (.005 to .008 is standard) It's not smart to switch them around.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by XXCross
    Large rifle and large pistol primers have different heights. (and different depth to the primer pockets in the cases. A rifle primer will not fit in a pistol primer pocket without excessive crushing.
    A pistol primer inserted in a pocket intended for a rifle primer will either not be fully seated or it will be excessively below the head of the case. (.005 to .008 is standard) It's not smart to switch them around.

i get this but if the 500 case first came out for use with pistols primers and now there for use with rifle primers and the primers are the same od
    (yes one will seat deeper in the new case marked R )
    (but won't either still work or do you think pistole one will be seated too deep for a good strike ),
    why did they switch?? per say would a old 500 round made for a pistol primer be safe or did they swap for another reason
    just trying to get a grip on this crapola
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seating a pistol primer in a case designed for a rifle primer
    can give erratic ignition of the powder charge...especially if
    you are using slow or hard to light powders. It was mostly a
    question of reliability and consistency. Pistol primers also
    have a smaller pellet and thus a shorter duration of "flame".
    (also not a good thing when using "slow" powders) The cases you have that take the LP primers will do just fine if you stick with faster,
    easy to light powders...think flakes not balls.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by XXCross
    Seating a pistol primer in a case designed for a rifle primer
    can give erratic ignition of the powder charge...especially if
    you are using slow or hard to light powders. It was mostly a
    question of reliability and consistency. Pistol primers also
    have a smaller pellet and thus a shorter duration of "flame".
    (also not a good thing when using "slow" powders) The cases you have that take the LP primers will do just fine if you stick with faster,
    easy to light powders...think flakes not balls.

gotcha
    new round to me and limited info on what and why .

ask lots of questions then put the puzzle together
    guess ill try to swap some of the cci350 for a few more lr primers

while im talking about this have you ever come across 500 specials
    my gun range guy came by some the other day
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,777 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to Hodgdons website, they have data.

Also try www.reloadammo.com/500sw.htm
    If they are still around, they had around 8 pages of load data from 275 - 700gr monsters. I printed their data years ago when the 500mag first appeared. Absolutely the best collective source for the 500SW

I have never seen any 500SW data that specified anything other than LR primers.
    I prefer Lil Gun for heavy bullets. H110/296 for light.
    Need to know what weight bullets you plan to shoot for further help.

I have fired both a 4" and 2" 500-Xframe. My advice is to go light in these things.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    gun is a 4" the bullets i have on hand left over from my de 50 are rainer 335 JFP
    SOME SAY THERE TO SOFT OTHERS SAY THERE JUST FINE again lots of diff info im finding
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,777 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CHEVELLE427
    gun is a 4" the bullets i have on hand left over from my de 50 are rainer 335 JFP
    SOME SAY THERE TO SOFT OTHERS SAY THERE JUST FINE again lots of diff info im finding

I have fired the 335 Rainers out of my 7.5" X-Frame at MV of 1700 FPS using LilGun. Groups were 3" at 50 yd. Should be some info at the link in my first post with these bullets. I absolutely had no problems with leading or excess copper in my bore with the Rainers.

Cast bullets between 400-500 with gas checks give me best results.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The guys over in the reloading froum are always asking for some business to be thrown their way so at ten posts here you go......