In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Automatic powder dispensers which one?

A1BigTunaA1BigTuna Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
I just sent a new iSD auto powder scale dispenser as it just turned off when the dispense button was pushed, tried many times, but only got it to dispense one time, then it would never stay on. Am looking at the Lyman suto scale, any advise, other than going back to my old powder manual units?

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the RCBS 1500 combo and like it. I've had it about three years.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    I have the RCBS 1500 combo and like it. I've had it about three years.

Same here, lovin it.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same as above.
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the hornady and have used the RCBS. I vote for the RCBS
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have the current PACT unit and have no complaints. Forever and a day they made the stuff for RCBS, and RCBS then jacked the price. Not sure who is making them for RCBS these days, but after RCBS told me that 'we don't warranty electronics after 2 years' I'm done with them.

Never had a problem with PACT, have had an RCBS electronic scale and dispenser both crap out on me, so I have to go against the flow and say I wouldn't go that route.
  • Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    I have had the Hornady for 2 years and I love it, it did give me a bunch of overcharges with long grain extruded powders but that has been fixed with the edition of a straw from Mickie D's
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the PACT combo, and it has been flawless.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Have had the Lyman for 3-4 years. Works good.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a PACT that does well, but when a friend bought one, it was erratic. He sent it back and got an RCBS which works right.
    I have no source of information on the other brands.
  • A1BigTunaA1BigTuna Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got the RCBS 1500 and have not used it yet, but it did calibrate and did move the dispense tube when I pressed the button, every time instead of like the other brand. Also, the Lyman funnel tubes both weigh the same so I do not have to make any adjustments to one of them. The control panel is different, but the guts of the unit seem to be identical to the other brand. Will have to use it to see how it works. Have read about reducing the inside diameter of the dispense tube for more accurate loadings.
  • NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCBS Chargemaster! Five years, going strong.
  • deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my Lyman DPS III
    edited November -1
    Okay, RCBS sent me a replacement Chargemaster 1500, it is accurate and the memory works, trickle, etc. Except the auto dispense feature. I guess it has to be me, something I am missing. But the procedure is to push the enter button until the auto shows on the display. Then enter the powder weight and press dispense. It works, except have only had it work once when the pan was not under the feed tube. Reset everything and it just will not auto dispense even though the display indicates zero. What am I missing???
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine dispenses each time I place the empty pan back under the tube (fill, empty, fill). Zero is with the pan in place (and empty)
    edited November -1
    I know, I have just tried a couple of different sequences. It did auto dispense once when there was no pan. Has not done so since that. I will call their customer service tomorrow, they are closed on Friday.
    edited November -1
    Well problem is solved! It was me, but not all me. I bought two Lyman funnel powder pans so I could have one loading while I was dumping the other. Made sure they both had the same weight. Zeroed the scale (same as tare). Set the unit up for auto-dispense which will automatically refill a pan once it recognizes a pan with no extra weight in it. Well, could not get it to work. Reason:

The scale is expecting a heaver pan, the stock pan weighs in at 165 grains, the Lyman only 66.5 grains. So, found two washers that were within 1 grain of each other, filed on the heaver one and now the auto feature works!!!

So, if anyone out there is going to try not to use the stock pan, you might have the same issue if the newer pan is too light.
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A1BigTuna
    Well problem is solved! It was me, but not all me. I bought two Lyman funnel powder pans so I could have one loading while I was dumping the other. Made sure they both had the same weight. Zeroed the scale (same as tare). Set the unit up for auto-dispense which will automatically refill a pan once it recognizes a pan with no extra weight in it. Well, could not get it to work. Reason:

The scale is expecting a heaver pan, the stock pan weighs in at 165 grains, the Lyman only 66.5 grains. So, found two washers that were within 1 grain of each other, filed on the heaver one and now the auto feature works!!!

So, if anyone out there is going to try not to use the stock pan, you might have the same issue if the newer pan is too light.

Excellent troubleshooting!