In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Blue Bullets and .40 S&W?

NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭
It's time to order another batch of projectiles to load up for my G-35 (.40 cal). I've been using 165 grain Berrys bullets and a load of 4.2 grains of Titegroup. This has been a good load. It's been very reliable and makes a power factor of 152, which is plenty for IDPA SSP. I'm thinking about switching to the 165 grain Blue Bullets in an effort to save a little money and because a friend of mine has been very impressed with them in his G-34 (9mm).
Do the experts have any input as to good loads for these bullets and Titegroup powder?

Comments

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    aren't the blue bullets cast lead? not sure if load is the same as the jacketed berry bullet. I have wondered the same thing for 357/38 plinking with the coated bullets.
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aren't Glocks and cast bullets, coated or otherwise a NO-NO?
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the Blue Bullet website:

Coated Bullet Reloading Information (The Blue Bullets LLC)

Reloading coated bullets is slightly different than loading a jacketed or lead bullet. The bottom line is to preserve the coating. If you strip or damage the coating it may caused lead fouling in your barrel, increased smoke, and/or decreased accuracy. There are several things to pay attention to while setting up your press and reloading. Once the press is set up correctly you will most likely never have to adjust it again.

- Crimp ? The perfect amount of crimp will hold the bullet in place but not affect the coating. The best way to check this is to pull a loaded bullet and examine the coating. You should see just a very slight impression (almost none) in the coating from the crimp.

- Expansion ? When loading coated bullets you should expand the case opening enough so that it does not cut the coating as the bullet is seated. Many times if it?s right on the line it will not cut under the lube ring but above the lube ring. To verify a correct amount of expansion pull the bullet and examine the coating.

- Load data ? We recommend that you use published lead load data from reputable sources. A coated bullet will run slightly slower than a lead bullet (5FPS-10FPS.) This is usually only going to matter to a shooter that is loading to a Power Factor for competition.

If you have any questions don?t hesitate to send us an email at thebluebullets@gmail.com. Hodgon's website is a good place to start if you need some help with load data.

Hodgon Load Data

These will work in Bullet Feeders unlike lead bullets.

https://www.thebluebullets.com/category-s/1857.htm

LOAD DATA from Hodgdon

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was under the impression that Berry's bullets were plated, not jacketed. No?
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    I was under the impression that Berry's bullets were plated, not jacketed. No?

Berrys are plated and run just fine in my Glocks. Over 8000 rounds and no leading what so ever.
    From everything I've been reading after posting my question here it sounds like the "blue bullets" will run just fine too.