In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

max OAL

I recently purchased a new TC Icon precision hunter in 22-250. Prior to loading shells for it I decided to use my OAL gage to determine the proper bullet seating depth for that chamber. My re-loading manuals all recommend a max OAL of 2.350, my OAL gage shows 2.490 for that chamber. I checked it several times for accuracy. What to do?

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    SAAMI max is to ensure that the magazine will accept max length cartridges. The chamber throat will normaly be cut longer yet.

Personally I'd determine the bullet, powder type and powder charge that your TC likes best (groups the smallest) at the standard 2.350 lenght, and than IF your determined to try for even smaller groups, begin increasing the OAL by .010 at a time and checking groups.
  • zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As you approach the 2.490 length, the chamber pressure will rise due to the reduced freebore ( the distance the bullet travels before contacting the lands). Reduce powder charge and watch for higher pressure signs. A bullet comparator in 22 caliber will help if you choose to use different bullet brands or weights (lengths). My 22-250s shoot best when bullets are seated 0 to .10 off the lands.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    flyer438: What do you think of that 3-shot plastic magazine? I'm dissappointed! My cheap (when I bought it) 788 Remington has a steel magazine box, will hold 3 cartridges + 1 in the chamber. The fully loaded Icon mag will not go in with the bolt closed. It shoots pretty good, though. Try 38.5 gr. of IMR4064 and a 40 gr. V-max. 4119 fps from my Icon and groups just over 1/2".
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First, what is the max length your mag will allow. Are you willing to load singly? Also, if you own another 22-250 do you want separate loads for both?

Personally, I'd load .005-.030" shorter than your measurement for starters, if your mag will cycle it even better. You may find you will exceed max powder listed as you have just increased case capacity. But work up carefully.

You may try at book COL as well, may shoot just as good.

Just remember, if you load it long. Don't shoot through another 22-250. I personally don't like to shoot any of my reloads through anyone's rifle but mine.
  • flyer438flyer438 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys for the suggestions, i'll try them. My measurement to the lands is 2.490 but my magazine will only accept 2.390 max. The manual calls for 2.350 max so thats where I seated them for now. I'm going to play with the load and see if I can get it to group before I try to seat longer. I took it to the range today for the first time and I wasn't impressed. I loaded 38.5 grains IMR4064, sierra 50 gr blitzking. I'm not fond of the plastic magazine either but it came with a single shot adapter and thats probably what I will use. I bought this Icon to play with at the range and it looks like i'll get my money's worth.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    flyer438,

Please do me a favor and check your load weight of 38.5 grains of IMR-4064.

I went back through the Hodgdon/IMR/Winchester reloading data base and it shows a significant reduction to the weight of powder being used. They list 37.0 grains of IMR-4064 for this bullet at the 2.350" OAL. I'm merely curious as to the discrepancy. I know how to vibrate more powder into a case. Is this simply a typo?

Best.
  • flyer438flyer438 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    nononsense, I was just checking to see if anyone was paying attention! Thanks, it was a typo. I meant to say 35.8 grains. This is a recommended accuracy load in my sierra manual. I'm going to try several different loads at less than that and see if I can find one that works before I mess with the OAL.