In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

gas checks

Anyone ever use wax gas checks

Comments

• mgbauer64mgbauer64 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm fairly new to reloading. Do I need to use a gas check when reloading factory cast bullets. The bullets are Hunter Supply 190gr. FP for .357 mag. Thanks
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends. The bullet must be designed to accept a gas check and how hard you push them. I don't use gas checks in my 245 gr 44 mag loads with my hard cast bullets. If your loads lead the bore then gas checks will help.

New barrels will lead until ironed in. A few hundred rounds of jacketed bullets will iron them in nicely. Clean often with a good copper solvent during break in. JB Bore Paste will help too.
  • mgbauer64mgbauer64 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I looked in my old Lyman cast bullet book, their 195 gr is plain base 358430 and in a 5" barrel maxes out at about 1300 fps. After like 1500 fps a gas check could be helpful. By like about 1800 fps and up they start becoming necessary or you have to clean the bore practically every shot to keep accuracy. Depends on the alloy, barrel and powder.

Bullet lube type is very important. I just use 50/50 alox/beeswax. Those hard lubes like Rooster Red look nice and are cleaner to handle but do a poor job at preventing leading. In pistols I make sure every bullet has some when I size them to .001 - .002 oversize. In rifles I fill every grove provided. I like Loverin designs in rifle bullets.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mgbauer64
    I'm fairly new to reloading. Do I need to use a gas check when reloading factory cast bullets. The bullets are Hunter Supply 190gr. FP for .357 mag. Thanks

If they are factory cast and sold commercially they would have a gas check on them if they required one. As stated, a bullet designed to accept a gas check will have the appearance of a heeled bullet when cast. In other words, the base of the bullet must be smaller than the diameter, almost as deep as the lube grooves.