In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New IMR 8028 XBR???

leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
Anyone using it?

Was wondering how it compared to RL-15, Varget, and Tac powder for .223rem and .308win.

Comments

• guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have only tried it (in my AR) with 69gr SMKs. It has been more accurate than the W748 I was using. I am very pleased with it even though it is supposed to be at its best with the lighter bullets.

I loaded some 50 and 55gr Vmax for my 22-250. THAT impressed me. trajectory was noticeably flatter at 200 and 300 yards so I assume that I have a nice velocity increase over the IMR 4064 I was using.

I think I will get some 55gr FMJs for the AR and see how they work.

We covered, on another post, the supposed temperature insenstivity of this powder. I wish I had a chronograph to do the comparison with. Unfortunately, I will have to use trajectory comparisons to see how much velocity it loses from the August heat to the January cold.
  • BIG ALBIG AL Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use nothing but the IMR 8208 powder for my wifes .308 palma.
    At 100 yards she has put 14 rounds the size of a quarter.
    42 Grs. with a 155gr. bullet with the bullet touching the lands.
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use it in my 204 Ruger. Gives better velocity and groups than any other powder I tried.

Have not tried it in a 223, I've used XMR2015 and latly more X-Terminator as it performs okay for me for coyotes and shorter range varmits from the AR.

Don't have a 308, but would try it in lighter bullets(<155gr) if I did.
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shot some test groups with it and 65gr SGs last weekend in my AR. 20" barrel with a 1/9 twist.

I used 6 different charge weights. Not one of them was over .6"! I was (and still am) amazed. As usual the most accurate loads came at the top charge weights. Those groups were .22" and .24". I don't think they were flukes.

I loaded some more of the top two charges for further evaluation.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just to clarify IMR 8208 XBR?

Several guys I shoot with over the winter here, use it in .223, 6BR, 6.5 Creedmoor and .30 BR. One I know is re-chambering the .30 BR in .30 RAR (bolt gun). He's a really good shooter so I think he knows what he's doing with this. I'm told he plans on using the IMR 8208 XBR for that too. I'm sure I'll see this winter.

Anyhow, from what I've seen it's a very consistent powder. And IMR's entry into the modern 'Extreme' powders for smaller cartridges.