In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pistol Primer question

rjcrjc Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
I have a bunch of .357 magnum brass cases that have primers in them. I loaded them years ago and cannot remember if they are magnum or standard primers. Is there a load that I can use that would be safe with either magnum or standard primers? Thanks.

Comments

• B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Almost any published load will be ok just stay at the starting point if all you want is to shoot em up.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Six grains of Unique is a favorite .357 mag load of mine. The primer, mag or std will not make a difference.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Just stay under any max load and you will be fine.
  • uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got done reloading my 357 mag and its at 7.7 grs of unique with cci 500 primers. 4 in barrel with a 4x32 power scope. Sends a 158 JSP just a shade under 1000fps (i believe, not chornoed yet).
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That load is maximum under a 158-gr Speer Gold Dot bullet, according to the Alliant website. A different bullet might put it over maximum. I've never used more than 7.0 Unique in the 357 using a Remington 158JHP and felt that that was about tops.

Double-check before you load.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    bpost has the ticket. My favorite 357 load too, 6 brains Unique and 158 grain lead SWC bullet. The load will not care, I have used both magnum and standard...the magnum load clocks a little faster over the chrono but not much.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6 brains? Wish I had one. Hmmm, I bet you wish you had one too.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Typos can sure be funny. On another website this morning, a poster was describing his tribulations with cast bullets, one of which was the drudgery of "pain-lubing."

If you've done pan-lubing, that typo strikes home.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.