In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.454 pistol load with rifle primers

geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
Two questions:
1. Load data for a .454 calls out 2400 powder and small magnum rifle primer. Does that sound correct?

2. I have CCI and Winchester small rifle primers, do I need to purchase Wolf Mag primers? Or is Winchester like the Large Pistol and only makes one type for small rifle?

Thanks

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Full loads in a 454 are hot. Best to use exactly what is listed. Some primers are hotter than others. My old Hercules Blue Dot is not the same as Alliant Blue Dot. H2400 (Hodgdon) was different than Hercules 2400.

My 22 Jet data was developed with small rifle primers.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All of the .454 loads I have seen use small rifle primers because of the high pressures involved. I agree, if that loading calls for the mag primer, I say use what is called for.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    All my 454 loads have been with SRM primers, never a problem..
    Even when I've used the Russian Tula's or Wolf's..
    Do Not Use Pistol Primers in a 454........
  • noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    H2400? Do you mean Alliant 2400?
    I have never noted more than the standard lot-to-lot variation I found before a name change, but one should use the newest pressure-tested data.
    If the manual calls for small magnum rifle, I use a small magnum rifle.
    The only difference I ever saw in small rifle vs. small pistol primers is that the rifle primer has a much harder cup and a light target pistol doesn't always set them off.