In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

230g 45LC

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
Any one ever load the 45 Long Colt with a 230g bullet? Thanks

Comments

• 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried to use the 230 FMJ RN for the ACP, but there is no way to put a crimp on it and it moves around when the gun recoils. Not worth the effort unless you find one with a crimping groove then just use the starting load for the 225 grain lead bullet and see how it works for you.

I wasn't very clear - I was using ACP slugs while loading .45 Colt for my Vaquero and my 25-5 S&W. I have gone to the 200 lead flat nose for the Colt round for plinking and the W-W Silver Tip for carry.
    Sorry about the confusion.
  • peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm talking about using the 230g in a Colt 45 LC revolver.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be a lot easier to use a bullet with a crimp grove in a wheel gun. I like Lyman 452190 at 250gr.
  • casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i checked my notes and i have, 2 years ago. i use 200g (lead) now.
  • richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The U. S. Army did, for 40 years or so. They used the .45 S&W 230 gr. load so as to be able to use them in both Colt and S&W single-actions.
  • peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    200g in a SAA 45LC ? I will try those too. Thanks for the info.
  • casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use these for range loads, 200g is cheaper.
    i would not want to carry reloads.
    these are used in a Public Defender and Uberti 1873.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a Ruger Vaquero (old model) I have loaded hundreds of the RNL 230s over 9.0 gr of Unique in .45 Colts for years. I bought those bullets because I could not find anything else for the Colt at the time. I came to like them because they are easy to quickly drop into the Vaquero when compared to Keith style bullets in SASS type matches. I don't use them in lever guns due to the tips resting right on the primers, for them I use the RNFP bullets anywhere between 185 and 255 gr.

Brian, I was also unable to roll crimp the FMJ bullets no matter how many times I tried, but working up a hearty taper crimp can be used if one is so inclined to load FMJs.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I also have a Ruger Vaquero old model, 4" birds head grip, I load 200gr RNFP Oregon Trail bullets for range use. They are a rea pleasure to shoot.
    W.D.