In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

mild 357

TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
I am going to load some "light" magnum loads for my newly acquired 4" S&W 686 . I would like a 38spec and 38 spec+p type of load using 357 cases and 140 gr hornady xtp heads. I will be using only 357 cases, don't want to use or load 38 cases. I have on hand unique,power pistol, 231,bullseye,2400 powders. Anyone have a favorite load that they shoot that might meet these criteria ? thanks in advance,Bob

Comments

• hrbiehrbie Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My favorite load out of the 38 is probly 5.2 grns unique pushing a 125 gr lead bullet.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I like 6 grains of Unique behind your 140 gr Hornady bullet. Could probably go a little lighter on the load.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Am I the only one who gets irritated when some one refers to bullets as "heads"? Or the bullet in a cartridge as a "bullet head"?
  • cnsaycnsay Member Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    Am I the only one who gets irritated when some one refers to bullets as "heads"? Or the bullet in a cartridge as a "bullet head"?

Didn't even catch that, gives new meaning to blowing the head off something[:D]
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Six grains of Unique with about any bullet in the 357 Mag case is a great shooter in my 686.

PS, for clarity it is best to call the products by the proper name. You have 140 grain XTP bullets, not heads. I know many gun shops call them by various names, they are wrong for doing so. A bullet is a bullet, a cartridge is a cartridge.
  • TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been involved with firearms for 45 years, loading cartridges for nearly 40 years, I never before met anyone who was annoyed at a bullet being called a head. It is at the head of a cartridge and quite a few people will commonly refer to the bullet as a head. It may not be the proper name but is an accepted one . I thank those who responded with a favorite load and am very sorry that ambrose got his panties in a bind for my misspeaking.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TANK78Z
    I have been involved with firearms for 45 years, loading cartridges for nearly 40 years, I never before met anyone who was annoyed at a bullet being called a head. It is at the head of a cartridge and quite a few people will commonly refer to the bullet as a head. It may not be the proper name but is an accepted one . I thank those who responded with a favorite load and am very sorry that ambrose got his panties in a bind for my misspeaking.

A hammer has a head, a cartridge has a bullet. Calling a bullet a tree would be equally as wrong as calling it a head. Please understand we are trying to help, not insult you. If you feel slighted, I assure you it was unintentional. All of us love this sport too much to want to cause hurt feelings.