In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Federal Primers

TEUFELHUNDETEUFELHUNDE Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
I may be behind the times, but I ran out of primers for my .243 load and when I asked for Federal 210LR I was told I couldn't get any. And it turns out that may be right. I haven't been able to buy any every place I asked and the only intranet offering was for local pickup in Washington state. Anyone know why?

Semper Fi

Comments

• TEUFELHUNDETEUFELHUNDE Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stealing a thread for my own edification:

One of the topics indicates there is a threat of Federal primers creating a mass detonation when used in a progressive machine like a dillon, as well as from a tray like a Lee.

I have always used Winchester or CCI (except Federal 209's for shotgun if the price is right)so I am not aware of the issue.

Has anyone experienced this? I've been reloading for almost 50 years and never heard of this happening with any modern primer.

Any stories?
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two wars have created huge shortages for sporting use. I also think ATK, the owner of Federal has restricted production expansion to maximize profits through price increases.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Two wars have created huge shortages for sporting use. I also think ATK, the owner of Federal has restricted production expansion to maximize profits through price increases.

yep, good luck finding federals. When you see them on the shelf, buy all they have.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No company in its right mind restricts the production of something it can sell 100% of. ATK is making primers as fast as possible, and has even built new production facilities to INCREASE production capacity.

The facts are that most of their production goes to government contracts and internal ammo production - both of which are at all-time highs. There is precious little excess supply available to retail markets, and what does get out gets snapped up in its entirety by the first reloaders who spot it.

In other words, people are doing exactly what justc recommended.

It's that simple.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

yep, good luck finding federals. When you see them on the shelf, buy all they have.

cci and federals is all they have around here

1000's of them

I can't find Winchester anything