In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Magnum small pistol primers and the 40 S&W...

SwanKongSwanKong Member Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭
The shop owner who sold these says they can be used in a safe manner with the 40 S&W when you use the starting load data minus ten percent. I am wondering if this is true?...thanks.

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    as a rule of thumb the shop owner is correct .However reloading is not really something you want to Experiment with on your own you are better off following load receipt from a known reloading manual.I would forgo loading a bunch of ammo and just wait until regular primers are back in stock.
  • distinguisheddistinguished Member Posts: 62
    edited November -1
    You may want to thoroughly read the Reminton primers sticky to get a better understanding of why.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 perry

Have you look for loading data using those primers? Some primers are hotter than others. I have data for small rifle primes in K frame Jet.

Seems to me a lot of range pickups I see in 40cal. and 9mm these days have lumps in case down by the base and smeared primers. No clue what make of firearm but I'd say that factory loads were way hot enough for less than fully supported case heads.

I think it will take some time to process the current government order for 1,600,000,000 rounds.
  • SwanKongSwanKong Member Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input thus far guys. Yeah, I didn't plan on doing any "inventing" at my loading bench. I'm just staring at 3000 Mag. small pistol primers and a pile of 40 S&W brass. With no non-mag. primers available at the moment, I was merely entertaining the idea. I will just wait I suppose. I would not be shooting these in an auto pistol by the way, I shoot them through a S&W M-610...I'm wondering if this would have any bearing as they are not going to be cycling an auto action? And no I have not found any published data that calls for mag. small pistol primers for the 40 S&W...
  • NordicwargodNordicwargod Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OMG! This keeps coming up. I have been interchanging different brands of small pistol primers and small pistol magnum primers and even small rifle primers with the same loads for YEARS! No big deal! The shop owner was covering his butt in case you blew yourself up for some other reason.
    I even did a chrono test! No difference in fps and no difference in spread! And this was with hot 40S&W loads. And the bulged cases have to do with the gun, not the loads. Usually it blamed on Glocks but my friends 40 cal Kimber has no more support than a Glock does! And bulges the cases just as bad.
    Any fast powder, [and that would be all of them at least to the speed of Accurate #7} burns fast! And usually there is a small amount of it. Example: 5gr of bullseye behind a 200gr wadcutter in a 45acp load [I'll use this example for Perry Shooters ammusment] A small pistol magnum primer is not going to make it burn any quicker! And its not going to give you any more pressure! No wild pressure spikes! The primer ignites the powder! If there is alot of powder or its more difficult to ignite then it will/should make a difference.
    Now when you get down to the slow pistol/fast rifle powders is where these primers will make a difference! With 2400 for example you are not suppose to use magnum primers because it speeds up the burn. And if you have 15gr of it in a 357 case that may be a problem. With H110 you should use a magnum primer because its more difficult to ignite uniformly! Same goes for Some rifle powders!
    I load alot of 9, 40, and 45. If you are using 231, bullseye, AA5, titegroup,Universal [what I'm using now] and many of the others in this same burn speed you won't see any difference!
    Perry shooter loads alot of match grade ammo. I would bet that HE can see a difference between different brands of primers as far as accuracy goes. I know two bullseye shooters that only use federal primers and bullseye powder! Nothing else,,,ever! But when you are that good the temperature outside makes a noticable difference in the way the guns shoot.
  • KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭

Reopening this old thread. With Primers so scarce picked up CCI 550 SPM. Usual Titegroup 40S&W loads are 4.2 or 4.5 grain. Going to start below 4.0 and work up to 4.2 and see how it goes.

• CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭

No problem using magnum primers in your 40 S&W! I have used magnum primers in my 9mm as well. If that is all you have, use them up. Just avoid loading maximum pressure. I always go halfway between starting loads and maximum loads when loading a particular caliber. I have even used Large Pistol primers in my 308 rifle loads as there were no large rifle primers to be found. They worked perfectly.