In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Prescription Glasses

AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
So it's happened. My Lasik has worn off and I have to wear glasses again. To make it even worse, old eyes has forced me to get progressives. I've been wearing the glasses for almost a year now and have gotten used to them, but have definitely noticed that it's affecting my aim specially when using iron sights.

Here're my questions about glasses and shooting:

1. Should I get a dedicated single prescription set of glasses for shooting? If I do, should these be set for 20/20 vision or at the strength needed for reading?

2. What's the optimal lens material? Let's face it, we spend thousands on good optics for our scopes, but when they make our glasses they use the cheapest plastic lenses they can get away with. Are there better lenses available?

Yes, I am accurate enough that I have noticed a difference due to my current glasses, so please no responses that nobody is that accurate.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The front sight needs to be sharp and clear - the target and the rear can be fuzzy. Lexan lens hold up ok, and are way lighter when talking about coke bottle bottom lenses.

You might try a pair of the adjustable lens glasses to see what works best for you. -6 to +3. Very tunnel vision as zone in focus is small.

https://adlens.com/product/adjustables/ They were about $50 but I think you can find them cheaper now.

added Back in the 70's as a kid I had an eye doc that would spend the time with me to dial in shooting glasses. I had to schedule the appointment for his less busy time but boy was it worth it when it came to offhand shooting an iron sighted rifle. Had to wait a few years to develop pistol skills. A better pistol would have helped matters along.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Charlie, those are pretty cool and would work really well for what I have in mind except I also have astigmatism (should have mentioned this before), so I have to stick with the prescription glasses.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AzAfshin,

I wear trifocals for working but I don't need glasses to drive or get around. But I have an astigmatism also which means I have several pairs of glasses set for various types of shooting. I no longer believe in trying to aggravate myself shooting iron sights except for handguns which for some reason I can shoot with better than decent accuracy.

Find a good Optometrist or Ophthalmologist who is firearm friendly and ask him for his help. That's what I did and he has solved every drawback I can come up with.

Best.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    YOU CAN HAVE THE CENTER OF THE PRESCRIPTION 'OFFSET' TO MATCH YOUR SHOOTING STYLE ALSO, SAY, OFFHAND PISTOL OR PRONE RIFLE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Great suggestions, thanks Gents.

What about the material? What lens material gives the best optical transmission?
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by AzAfshin
    Great suggestions, thanks Gents.

What about the material? What lens material gives the best optical transmission?

I use the same polycarbonate lenses for shooting and safety at work.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I shot for many years with poor eyesight corrected with glasses I was near sighted as well as bad ASTIGMATISM but I coud shoot and for the most part see front sight very well in good bright light Just like a camera with small lens opening field of focus becomes shorter in dim light . I then developed FLOATERS drove me crazy in Rapid fire .I had operation on floaters that worked great except it does lead to other problems however those problems can also be corrected with a lens implant I had a number of test cornea Mapping etc I now have 20/15 vision in this EYE No ASTIGMATISM . If I had this type of vision 40 years ago who knows what I could have done . My advise is you don"t have to live with poor vision get the best DOC you can find.