In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

wheel weights

reomackreomack Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
Any one have a good method of cleaning the weights before putting them into the pot. I have a good source for the lead but it is really dirty when I get it, as you would expect. I thought maybe I could put them in a plastic bucket with some water and soap and manually agitate them a few times, waiting a day or so between times, then rinsing thoroughly and drying them for a few days to make sure I don't put a wet one in the pot. If anyone has a better idea, please speak up. Thanks

Comments

• reomackreomack Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine owns a auto shop and has approx. 300 lbs of used wheel weights I can have, can you cast bullets from them. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

"IF THE AMERICAN FIREARMS INDUSTRY IS SUED INTO BANKRUPTCY, WHO WILL SUPPLY OUR SOLDIERS."- NRA VICTORY FUND
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Drop them in the pot, and skim off the dirt and steel clips.

The bad ones are the "stick on" type, when the tape burns off.
    edited November -1
    I have done it that way but it really gums up my Lee production pot. When I clean the pot after running a batch, there is a substantial layer of crud in the bottom of the pot that has to be laboriously scraped out. It also tends to clog the drain spout, making the pour pretty erratic. Just looking for a better way. Thanks for the input.
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't run the pot out, leave a little lead in the bottom and no crud to scrape. I never run mine down
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most folks with a lot of wheelweights and other scrap lead to process do a cleanup melt in an iron pot over a gas burner and cast ingots to go in their bullet pot.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What Hawk says. An open pot is much easier to flux as well as dipping out the bullet jackets, steel clips and assorted crud from scrap lead. I use a cast iron pot that holds ten pounds of lead, and a single-burner Coleman camp stove for my smelting. I can pick up the bail handle with a strong hook and pour using a pair of vise grips on the pot rim.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
    edited November -1
    Sounds good. I'll give the pre-melt in an iron pot a try. I'm sure it is really good advice and I thank you for it. I knew I could find a better way to do it if I asked here! Thanks again.
    edited November -1
    Just found this on another website ...

This guy does some serious smelting, but the neat trick is the old fryer basket. He just lifts it out from the melt and all the wheel clips, junk and bullet jackets come right out inside it!

DSC00093.jpg
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I've been there man. I've never found a satisfactory way to clean them. I use a wood fire to keep costs down, but also melt down my weights, flux, and pour them into an ingot mold to clean them before putting in my Lee electric pot.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I keep my Lyman pot full. When adding wheel weights, I just skim off and use Brownells Marvelux to flux it.
    edited November -1
    An interesting development: Later on in that other website's thread, a guy recommends putting a cup of diesel in the pot of cold wheelweights and burning it BEFORE lighting the gas burner.

Three things happen, he claims. One, the diesel burns off any debris like valve stem caps, paper and the like. Two, the weights get pre-heated so you use a lot less propane (and time). And three, the soot formed actually keeps melted lead from adhering inside the clips. So you lose a lot less lead when skimming out the clips (which DO often hold lead).
  • grady mitchellgrady mitchell Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you get it hott enoff lead want stick to any thing you skim off
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    An interesting development: Later on in that other website's thread, a guy recommends putting a cup of diesel in the pot of cold wheelweights and burning it BEFORE lighting the gas burner.

Three things happen, he claims. One, the diesel burns off any debris like valve stem caps, paper and the like. Two, the weights get pre-heated so you use a lot less propane (and time). And three, the soot formed actually keeps melted lead from adhering inside the clips. So you lose a lot less lead when skimming out the clips (which DO often hold lead).

That picture sent chills down my spine.

Please note, the floor is PLYWOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [:0][B)][:0][B)][:0][B)][:0][B)][:0][B)][:0][B)][:0][B)][:0]
    edited November -1
    It's sitting on a scrap piece of plywood, for sure. I can't tell what that is beneath the ply - except that it's dirty.
  • ToolfogieToolfogie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually. I think that's a piece of sheet metal. Note the mottling, rust stains and grinder marks near the ladle.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Toolfogie
    Actually. I think that's a piece of sheet metal. Note the mottling, rust stains and grinder marks near the ladle.

The Lord knows I hope you are right! [:D]
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab

That picture sent chills down my spine.

Please note, the floor is PLYWOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [:0][B)][:0][B)][:0][B)][:0][B)][:0][B)][:0][B)][:0][B)][:0]

Looks like a piece of steel over a dirty conc pad

all is good as long as the tinsel fairy stays away