In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M1 Garand loads

instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well my friend just got his CMP Garand in the mail today, he has to go on a road trip leaving tom. and coming back early saturday so I was hoping to make some 30-06 loads that are known to be safe and easy on the action of his M1-Garand, I prefer Alliant powders in general but I guess I could make an exception for this rifle of his. I am already set up for 30-06 but I don't want to go to hot, to light a load and it may not cycle correctly. I have a wide variety of bullets in .30 caliber already in my reloading supplies, and I have brass, primers, On hand I have Rx 15, Rx 19, and Rx 22 for various rifles, also have Reddot/Green dot, Unique, bullseye, but I have no problem running to the gunstore to pick up something more appropriate. And I have to confess right now I haven't even cracked a book to look for a load.

(Dave's Disclaimer) I will double check any suggested load to make certain I can find it in a book prior to loading any ammo. No animials were harmed in the making of this thread.

Thanks for your time.

Dave

Comments

• instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was thinking about working up some loads for service rifle competition. I have only shot surplus ammo to this point, mostly Egyptian.

Does anyone here shoot in these competitions, and what kind of loads do you use?
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be hard to go wrong with IMR 4895 backing up a 168gr Match-King.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    46-48 grains of IMR 4895 with 168MK, Winchester or Federal Primer loaded in Commercial brass will get you where you want to be.
    edited November -1
    Do any of you see any "real" difference between the match/benchrest primers and the regular variety?
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ONLY if you have the skills and equipment to take advantage of "difference". Most shooters don't! (think "benchrest")
    If you were thinking about using them to load your M-1 ammo.....Forget it!
    edited November -1
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The newest Sierra book has Gas gun loads and bolt loads in all the probable calibers.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Depends entirely on your gun. If it has a fairly tight muzzle and is well bedded, the 168 gr is a very good choice. Personally I prefer IMR 4064 over 4895, but either is good.

If you're just banging away with a shooter grade gun, I'd just go with 150 gr with surplus brass.

Never heard of Egyptian 30-06 (not that that means much) but it would surely be corrosive. I hope you've been cleaning things properly!