In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help with a press. Got if fixed.

EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
Anyone have any idea why this die is to short. I have looked around and dont see that Lyman takes a different die. The press was apart, was in a fire, could I have just put the linkage on wrong. I am trying to get a picture of the bottom half but it will be at least tomorrow before I can. Any ideas?

Found a burr on the bottom of the ram, fixed it and now all is good in the world of loading.

The brownish color is not rust but a funny color paint I had on hand after I cleaned it up. It does make for a sad looking picture.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I took the ram apart to see if I had it wrong and when swapped the linkage around the ram was all ways up and wanted to go higher, so I thought to myself "that ain't right" . [8D]

IMG_1317_zpsf8a6d90c.jpg
Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to steel wool and oil that ram the full length. Depending on wear you might need to stake the frame to take our some of the slop.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/presses-and-kits/Lyc_RPK_Tmag.php
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Wow the top part of this old press looks very thick and robust. You might want to screw the dies in from the bottom with the ram/shell head holder in the down position. however you do it you will need a lock ring threaded on the die body to keep it from turning once you get it set. KROIL and a copper pot scrubber is YOUR FRIEND. you dont want loose rust on reloading equipment.[V][:(]
  • NordicwargodNordicwargod Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the same press. A Lyman T six station turret press. Did you notch the 2x4 for more clearance/depth. Notice that it is hitting before the ram can rise high enough. Good press.
    Regular dies work just fine. Lyman dies would make no difference.
  • EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nordicwargod
    I have the same press. A Lyman T six station turret press. Did you notch the 2x4 for more clearance/depth. Notice that it is hitting before the ram can rise high enough. Good press.
    Regular dies work just fine. Lyman dies would make no difference.

They do put the mounting holes very close to the edge of the table, the way it will be mounted will be on a metal topped table.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.