In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.17 Rem

Wanting to start reloading the Rem .17. Anything I need to know different from .223 or 22-250. Anything extra that I am not used to? Thanks.[^]

Comments

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not other than those bullets seem awfully tiny compared to .224. Your rifle will want to be cleaned often and carefully, too, for best accuracy. Have fun!
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not use a powder measure alone, pressure spike very fast.
  • thebambam2001thebambam2001 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    I would not use a powder measure alone, pressure spike very fast.

I will weigh each round on a digital scale--don't want a fu with this little girl.[:)]
  • FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stick powders are bad to clump and jam on the way down the tiny funnel opening and into the case. I prefer Ball or spherical powders for that reason. However, short-cut extruded powders such as IMR4320 go in fairly well if you tap the funnel lightly.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Special powder funnel required! Be ready to pinch your fingers seating bullets!

I love the .17 Remington. Everybody used to look down their nose at this "useless" cartridge, then ran out & bought .17 HMR's & brag them up.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In an article in one of the recent gun magazines, the author loaded 24.7 gr. of IMR4320 and 25 gr. Hornady HP. Said it shot 3/4". I loaded some this PM &, of course, haven't tried them yet. My 700 averages 1.06" with the loads I've tried so far. Rem. factory averages 1 1/4".