In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester 231 and Hodgdon HP-38 powders

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
No one in my area has Winchester 231 powder for sale. I was out at the range this morning shooting, and a fellow shooter told me that Winchester 231 and HP-38 were the exact same powder, just in different containers. I thought he was yanking my chain, so I called Hodgdon and talked to their tech support, they confirmed it, they are indeed one and the same powder! Bought three pounds of HP-38 this afternoon at the local shop.

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    YEP, no difference [:)]
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm always the last to find these things out! I need to get out more![:D]
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Current production is the same stuff.

Before Hodgdon got the distribution of Winchester powders (they do not own the factory) there was a noticeable difference seen in manuals where the same bullets were shot out of the same barrels with the same pressure gauge and both powders.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The differences between manuals are caused by numerous things, even if they used the same can of powder - which they don't. Different bullets are the main reason, but different cases, primers, powder lots, test guns, test equipment, testing protocol, company interpretation of standards, data interpretation, and even weather play a part.

If you ever see two manuals with EXACTLY the same load data, one copied from the other. Period.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • 1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The differences between manuals are also caused by formulas for powders differing over the years. New innovations in production, powder coatings, as well as companies looking for more cost effective ways to make things force incremental changes, however slight they may be from year to year. My old DuPont cans of 4350, etc. I keep in the Load Room is NOT the same as the IMR 4350 you get today.

I appreciate the heads up on the HP-38.