In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

s&w 642 - tame recoil???

rp85rp85 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭✭
hello;

might be a hopeless cause. have a s&w model 642 (airweight) with a set of hogue grips. trying to find a practice load for the wife.

not worried about self defense loads because simple fear of situation she will not notice recoil.

shooting a 140 grain bullet and 2.5 grains of red dot, wife still can't handle the recoil.

have a mold that cast a 125 grain bullet but don't know how far
down in powder charge i can go with red dot.

any suggestions.

thanks for any input.

rp

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With bullseye as long as the bullet makes it out of the tube you are good. I think that will hold true for reddot also. I think the 148 hollow base wadcutter seated backwards makes a good round.
  • Options
    pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been loading 147 gr hardcast lead bullets with 2.7 gr of Bullseye. Yes they do kick in my S&W 642 but you can shoot them all day long in my Taurus 66 with a 6" barrel.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    BUY a heavier pistol . Recoil is a result of weight of the bullet out one end and weight of pistol on the other. For every action there is an equal opposite reaction.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    My sister bought a 642 as a carry gun and found the same problem. I loaded up some 125gr RNFP's with 3.8gr of Unique and it made a big difference that allowed her a bit of practice time with the gun. But then she did something that removed the whole problem, she traded that 642 for a Ruger SP-101. Now those 125gr loads feel like a .22lr and she can shoot all day long, well as long as I keep her stocked up in ammo.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a bit of "Newton's shootin' law"; The light gun that makes for great carry makes for increased recoil.

See if you can cast 125 gr bullets, or find lighter ones if possible, then use this guy's page:
    http://www.reloadammo.com/38loads.htm

I've used several of his loads, and they seem to work just fine.
  • Options
    1935Lee1935Lee Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hogue grips Are these the soft rubber?
    I would recommend several backwards steps

1 practice with light loads in a heaver revolver

2 practice with light loads (wax)

3 consider alternative home defense weapons, 12 gauge coach gun with barrels cut back to bare legal minimum loaded with light loads of smallest shot you can find and or cans of wasp spray placed in strategic locations, anything that can be used as a weapon.