In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

cleaning pulled bullets

Have got pulled surplus military bullets that are tarnished from age, maybe improper storage with some crud on some. I am thinking of putting in vibratory case tumbler to clean. Is this accepted way to clean or any harm to bullets to shoot through bore? thanks in advance for your experience or thoughts, Jim

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know if it's appropriate or not, but I clean bullets that way. Less harm to the bore IMO than shooting the green crud through the barrel.
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It works best if you put them in a mesh bag !
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If some of the crud looks to be black, that is an asplalt sealer that was put on at the factory. Clean the bullets first in a parts washer, or Brakekleen or carb cleaner.Alcohol may also work. Just spray the bullets on an old rag that you dont want. They will immediatly look 75% better. Dry,then tumble if you wish.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's easy to overload your tumbler with bullets. Take it easy on the amount of weight in the bowl. I sometimes mix the bullets with handgun cases big enough the bullets won't jam inside as they run. Doesn't hurt the cases and the edges of the cases tend to knock the crud off the bullets quicker than media alone.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    For the tar sealant, I use mineral spirits. Soak the bullets in that for about 20 minutes, swirl around then rinse in hot soapy water and let dry.

For other tarnish, the tumbler is fine. As said it is very easy to overload with bullets. I'd do about 30-50 at at time.