In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

reclaimed shot

Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
This came from a range and I know it's different sizes, but has anyone ever found any efficient and inexpensive way to use it?
I do not want to shoot it as is, and melting into ingots takes forever.

Comments

• grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We just clean it and use it for practice.
  • Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you wash it? If so ,how?
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't wash it, just use a screen or a board, dump it out and go at it. The stuff I got was already pretty clean.
  • FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use reclaimed shot (I bought it cleaned and bagged) for early-season grouse and woodcock hunting. The pellets are nearly all either 7.5s or 8s, and their out-of-roundness doesn't hurt anything at the close ranges typical before the leaves fall. In fact, they offer the advantage of increasing pattern spread a little.
    edited November -1
    I'd use it for skeet, but I don't want all the little pebbles scratching the bore in my Daly .410.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bill Jordan
    I'd use it for skeet, but I don't want all the little pebbles scratching the bore in my Daly .410.

The shot is part of the ejecta and the shot shouldn't ever contact the barrel as inertia drives it back into the wad to begin with then it begins moving forward (still in the wad) It only leaves the wad once it is clear of the barrel and the wind takes hold of the wad

I have seen wad that looked like your dog Fido got a hold of them right out of the barrel

reclaimed shot is very rough with flat spots that could possibly cut through the wad and I guess maybe the pebbles could do this too as it is forced through the forcing cones and again at the coke
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    Do you wash it? If so ,how?

A metal collander and a water hose works great .
    If it is bought in bags ,it is already as clean as possible ---IMO .
    edited November -1
    here is something else to consider : Mix it 50/50 with regular shot .
    I have a friend that bought around a ton ,and he mixes it all the time .
    edited November -1
    I already have 1500#, and want to see if it's worth the trouble.
    sounds like no.
    edited November -1
    I already have 1500#, and want to see if it's worth the trouble.
    sounds like no.

Do I smell a give away ?[:D]
  • billingham420billingham420 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to belong to a skeet club that reclaimed shot every year. They had a little home-made rocker-type placer mining rig with a hose attached to wash the shot, then ran it over a series of screens to sort it by size. It was then bottled in gallon milk jugs, and sold to members at half the price of new shot. "Everybody" shot it, at least for practice. It was always speculated that, because the shot was all beat up with flat sides and all, it opened up your patterns a bit when you used it, but I never heard anyone complain about that!
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    not all shot stays inside the wad petals.
    some sits just above. thats where the rocks scratch the bore.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.