In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

45 Colt Handi Rifle

1935Lee1935Lee Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
For paper punching I've been trying a few different loads, the best load to date I've found is a 250 grain keith type bullet with p-wad over 6.8 grains of tightgroup. questions / does anyone know of a source for gas check bullets for the 45?

Thanks in advance[:)]

Comments

• 1935Lee1935Lee Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I'm really not set up to start pouring lead, would sooner buy my bullets from someone who knew what they were doing [:D]
    edited November -1
    out of my price range for sure. I've tried two different jacketed bullets neither was that accurate. the problem with my current load is the occasional flyer which I'm sure is caused by a p-wad
    partial separation from the bullet, perhaps a different type of glue will help, Thank you for your help, if I find a magic combination I will post it here on the forum.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that I have the lyman 452190 a 255 gr plain base Kieth SWC. I bought it to load for a Lady friend Judge. I think that at your load levels you do not require a gas check. Have you slugged the bore? I also have a C&H half/three quarter jacket swage press and dies in .308, .358, .429, .452 in both round and swc noses.
    edited November -1
    Hi, I haven't slugged the bore and I agree that I shouldn't need a gas check. Sometime ago while working with 45-70 loads on a forum there was a blurb from someone about p-wads who had found that they improved shot groups on mild loads. I tried them on the 45-70 and found that they did tighten up the shot group, the same with the 45 colt, 50 yard groups with a red dot scope of 1 &1/2 inches is easy except for the ocansional flyer. The same load except without the p-wad opens up to to almost double in size

The folks that I get the p-wads from think that with a lead bullet a small amount gas will start to leak past the sides of the bullet before it is upset the p-wads on the other hand make a tight seal instantly. I've never used a bullet with a gas check but thought perhaps they would give the same results as the p-wads.

I've been buying my bullets from a fellow in FL perhaps a softer lead might be the solution?
    edited November -1
    Just got off the phone with the folks who sell the p-wads and they suggested not glueing the wads to the base of the bullet but to start the wad into the case and then seat the bullet. Will give this a try. If anyone is interested http://www.neconos.com/shop/ is where I get the wads from and the fellows who work there know what they are talking about.
    thanks again!
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the link, though their website needs some work. I think the p-wads are the same price as a factory gas check but appears easier to install than trying to crimp on a Hornady. I mostly run all my lead bullets barefoot even those that take a gc. I am considering making beer can gc, not sure I really want aluminum oxide in my bore. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60
    edited November -1
    recovered p-wad are blackened but don't show any evidence of melting.
    they sell large sheets of the material where you can punch out your own.
    if I can get rid of the flyers I more than likely will buy a sheet.

I found their website to be hard to view using firefox, best was with chrome, IE was ok.
    edited November -1
    Solved the flyer problem! simple as not trying to glue the pwad to base of bullet [:I] At the same time I sluged and pressure fire lapped the bore, groups shrank to 3/4 inch at 50 yards. Kinda feel like a kid who just discovered the wheel again. I have a old four power leupold that I might try with a trigger job. 1/2 groups?
    two top loads in my rifle are 7 grains titegroup 360 grain keith bullet
    1090 ft.sec / 8.5 grain titegroup 230 grain plated apc bullet 1200 ft.sec. I consider the latter to be a good short range whitetail load head or neck shot only.