In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bullets fixed the issue....

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
Back a while ago I posted a pic of a target shot with my 22BR. The first shot was high by a few inches with a cold barrel, clean or dirty. It was frustrating knowing the first shot was going someplace it was not wanted.

I got it fixed.

Bullet selection was the magic elixir; The vertical stringing was using Nolser Ballistic tip boat tails. When I switched to a 55 grain FLAT BASED bullet, the vertical stringing went away.

It is 30 here today, suing a 1" red dot at 100 yards the first shot out of the barrel was inside the 1" circle just a 1/4" above the aiming point.

Lesson learned; when groups don't seem right, trying a different bullet is also part of solving the problem not just powder and primers.

Comments

• Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another one that swill sometimes cause such:

I've seen some rifles that just don't like a very clean, non fouled bore and when the steel is cold might be little worse.

Therefore keep a heads up on the First shot, the one that counts!
    Keep a heads up for on target first one down the barrel.
    If off target, shoot few shots, let it sit for 24 hours and test the first shot again.
    If off target with a fouled bore start changing reload components like bpost did, such as bullet type, bullet weight, try another suggest powder from the reload manual and even match your brass hulls, especially the weight of the brass and de-burr (champher) the primer pocket inside. A weird brass hull can cause a flyer on a fineky normally very accurate gun and if you don't keep a heads up for such you'll reload it again for another test, blaming the gun when it's the brass hull right under your nose!
    How do I know this! I have proof on paper targets and the hulls to prove such, moos tgenerall the hulls are several grains difference in weight causing the ereloaded flyers (off target) and can also generally be seen on a chronograph as difference in velocity!