In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is lead going away?

I was at my class III dealer the other day picking up a couple of items. He ask me if I wanted to buy in into a large amount of lead bullets he had coming. About 1.5 million If I remember correctly. He stated that the EPA had shut down the ability of American refiners of lead to produce what we send down range. Is this just idle gossip or do I need to unstuff the mattress and buy lead bullets before the supply dries up?

Comments

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd bet that you'll see a serious restriction on lead in the near future. If you can get a good deal on the bullets and you can use them I'd go for it. Look at California, using the word lead there could land you in jail.
  • Options
    hunter86004hunter86004 Member Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your dealer was wrong about the EPA shutting lead refiners. They shut down a smelter, but not refiners. Bullet manufacturers get their lead from refiners of scrap batteries.

As for the lead ban in Kali mentioned by toad67, I believe that only affects bullets used for hunting, not at a range.
  • Options
    1917watercooled1917watercooled Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I miss stated refiners. I meant smelters. Do you mean they shut down one smelter or all of them? His prices will be in the price range of what we are paying now so it's not killer deal.
  • Options
    hunter86004hunter86004 Member Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They shut down the Doe Run smelter which was the last primary lead smelter in the US and it's shutdown will have no effect on the bullet manufacturers.

You can read more here: http://bearingarms.com/no-the-doe-run-primary-smelter-closure-isnt-going-to-affect-ammo-prices-and-it-isnt-backdoor-gun-control/
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Your dealer is just trying to make more money off from you by scaring you into thinking that you won't be able to get bullets, that's all. Most lead for bullets comes from recycled car batteries, so we will continue to have lead bullets till they stop making batteries for cars.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hunter86004
    Your dealer was wrong about the EPA shutting lead refiners. They shut down a smelter, but not refiners. Bullet manufacturers get their lead from refiners of scrap batteries.

As for the lead ban in Kali mentioned by toad67, I believe that only affects bullets used for hunting, not at a range.

You're kidding, right?
    Do you see any problem with what that says?
    Banning ALL projectiles, (and the means to propel them) is what will follow, because bullets are essentially all the same as to their behavior ( they fly through the air at over 500fps) and contents (nasty old lead, some copper, tin, and maybe brass), and can actually be used for both purposes; if the Mayflower folks had any problems slinging massive lead hunks at game for food, and "today's bullets won't do the same thing", they seem to be able to be shot at beer cans or targets or anything else.
    I gotta give the politicians credit for the continued use of the divide'n'conquer strategy; wonder who let this happen in sunny Kalifornia...