In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Keep an eye on old gun shops.

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
Got a pound of H-380 today for 20 bucks.

It was a tire shop / Gun store with all sorts of odds and ends, Bullets, cases, black powder stuff, primers and power. I will visit again soon. Need to get some of the CCI primers they have too. [:D]

Comments

• JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up 3 containers of AL 5, and now I cant find a good recipe for it. I used to load heavy shotgun loads with it, but now Id like to find a light load to burn it up trapshooting. Nothing in any of the old books. I did find some handgun loads, but dont need any.
  • 20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jimmy, if you will give me an idea on what kind of hulls you are using , i have data on AL5-AL7-and AL8. I would bet you were using AL8 on heavy loads because the other powders were for light loads.
    edited November -1
    I have 5 or 6 thousand hulls of various kinds. Mostly federal, but AA, Remington and a few others. No, I never used AL 8, I used AL 5 for 1 1/4 oz. heavy loads. I need a load for 7/8 or 1 oz.loads for trap. I will only use a recipe out of a manual, homemade recipes are out for me. I might be better off trading this powder off at a loss for something I can use. I read where it is very close to Unique.
  • 20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup,just looked in the older books listing Alcan powders and it is really too slow burning for either 7/8 or 1 oz loads. You are correct that they did show AL5 for 3 1/4 x 1 1/4 oz loads so it must be fairly close in burn rate to Unique. You probably ought to just trade it off to someone wanting something slower burning than you do if you can find that someone as specs onthat powder are a little hard to find unless you are an old duffer like me who has been reloading for over 55 years and still has a bit of AL5 and AL7 .
    edited November -1
    Thanks for looking.
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AL-5 makes a damn good pistol powder...very clean burning.
    Someone in the know should be willing to trade you for something
    more suited to trap loads.