In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Why 338 Laupa but not RUM?

easygo6easygo6 Member Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
I note some great rifles coming out in the last year that are available as 338 Laupa but not the RUM. Aren't cases more readily available/cheaper for the RUM? I understand that certain military units use the Laupa (developed for that purpose). For civilian purposes, does the Laupa have that much advantage over the Laupa...performance wise?...that it is worth spending extra on the Laupa brass?

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I'd go with the RUM if it were me.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RUM for me. cheaper brass and almost the same MV with less power. That means longer barrel life and cheaper cost
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    easygo6,

"For civilian purposes, does the Laupa have that much advantage over the Laupa...performance wise?"

Apparently, we're in a .338 cycle here at GB. You ask about comparing the Lapua to the Lapua but I'm sure you mean to the RUM.

For all intent and purpose, all three cartridges will yield similar performance. The RUM will be the least expensive to operate from the standpoint of the cost of brass alone. Other than that, the costs are fixed and just about the same for all three cartridges.

There are several topics which are running now or have finished on the various forums, concerning the .338 Lapua/.338 RUM/.338 Norma Mag. There are also other topics available through the search function from previous times.

Best.