In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Revolver Accurizing

gcs10gcs10 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
Who accurizes revolvers? I have a S&W model 14 that I cannot get to shoot. I have tried several combinations of bullets and powder but nothing I am willing to call a good load results. I even tried some commercial target loads with no luck. The lockup seems tight but something isn't working right.

What things need to be done to a revolver to make it shoot well (under 3 inches at 50 yards).

Thanks,

Cort

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    If the cylinder lock up is tight and aligned, check the barrel for leading. I have never seen a 14 that wasn't accurate with at least some ammo. If someone shot a lot of hot, lead ammo in it, that might be the problem.
    Look at the forcing cone very good for any cracks when checking the barrel.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3" at 50 yards with a pistol is not bad with a pistol. Tell us more about the gun you are shooting.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Most Bulls-eye shooters use pistol smiths like Cylinder & Slide and custom pistol smith I know some but they stay back-logged. One thing they do is use a range rod to make certain each cylinder chamber is lined up correctly and many open the chamber slightly so bullet will not be undersize when it hits the forcing cone . I suggest you shoot a few groups with just one chamber at a time you might find 5 of the 6 will shoot 1.5 inch groups and just one chamber opens up the group size then when you shoot in a match "5 shots at a time " leave the bad chamber empty." even a pistol that shoots 1 inch groups with ammo it LIKES may shoot 3 inch groups with so called MATCH ammo . you have to find ammo your pistol likes.
  • gcs10gcs10 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I appreciate the insight. I bought the model 14 for a CMP match gun but have not been able to get any points with it so far. The rules say "no internal or external modifications ...". Does this mean recrowning the barrel, enlarging the cylinder throats and reshaping the forcing cone are illegal?

Cort
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Most Bulls-eye shooters use pistol smiths like Cylinder & Slide and custom pistol smith I know some but they stay back-logged. One thing they do is use a range rod to make certain each cylinder chamber is lined up correctly and many open the chamber slightly so bullet will not be undersize when it hits the forcing cone . I suggest you shoot a few groups with just one chamber at a time you might find 5 of the 6 will shoot 1.5 inch groups and just one chamber opens up the group size then when you shoot in a match "5 shots at a time " leave the bad chamber empty." even a pistol that shoots 1 inch groups with ammo it LIKES may shoot 3 inch groups with so called MATCH ammo . you have to find ammo your pistol likes.

[red]EDIT/red] Hello I am slightly confused I thought the NRA not CMP ran the DIST revolver match. I know this is different from the Harry Reeves Match and has different rules. . I stopped going to Perry after 2005 "went out on a high note tenth Presidents 100 and third time as Captain of the winning Civilian Hard Ball Team match". When they first started with the dist Revolver match I bought a model 25 to be able to shoot 45 ACP loads. When they Changed the rules I said to hell with it. I was not going to go out and buy the second pistol just to shoot one match. The DCM/CMP have different rules and even these have changed I have no interest in allowing hand loads . Call me old school I liked it with 1911 type pistols with Ammo issued on the line. Level playing field. I would check with the org. that runs the match sorry I don't know the answer to your question with 100 % assurance and don't want you to get disqualified because of My opinion. Cheers Karl. Camp Perry 1972-2005
  • gcs10gcs10 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know where my brain was a while ago. I said CMP but meant DR. Karl, you are right about the extra gun. I may just forget the DR match and stick with my 1911. The way I read the NRA rules, I am not sure I can do much to my model 14 and still meet the rules. I think I will email the range officer that runs the regional match for an interpretation of the rules.

Thanks for all your support.