In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ratchet Rifling....??

http://www.shilen.com/ratchetRifle.html

Anybody care to educate me on this??
JustC or Nononsense, maybe??

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    There are a number od DIFFERENT styles of rifling The most common is the groove side walls are the same angle on the leading side as the trailing side . As the bullet goes down the bore the and is engraved by the rifling it rubs harder against one side that is attempting to make the bullet spin. Ratchet Rifling is IMHO an attempt to cut down on gas cutting. . I will be interested to hear from NONONSENSE .
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wanted man,

The Ratchet rifling form is similar in theory to 'Canted Lands', 5R and any of the other polygonal type forms of rifling. The major benefit for any of these is that the edges of the driving side of the land at a lesser angle or has a rounded edge to it which smooths the transition of the bullet as it travels down the bore.

ratchetrifle.gif

In essence, there is less damage done to the bullet jacket by the lands. This allows for a more accurate performance by the bullet as it travels through the air. It remains more aerodynamic.

Best.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    In theory..

As far as I know, and please correct me if I am wrong Nononsense, this accuracy gain has not been conclusivey proven on the benchrest circuit.

I work in an industry that continually reengineers a certain product to make it patentable. We are not looking for a performance gain, just patent rights, a tradename & increased sales of our 'new & improved" product. My opinion is that the shooting industry suffers from a lot of the same.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Newton used ratchet rifling.
    There is a legend that his first batch had the ratchet shoulder opposite to the twist and were not accurate.

The guys on the ASSRA board give the Shilen ratchet good reviews.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Newton Pope rifled barrel that is shot out. I also have one with parabolic lands to increase the grip area on lead bullets.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies...pretty much I thought/expected, although the "ratchet" terminology is new to me [:)]