In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Loading Berry's 124 gr 9mm question?

TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
I am loading for a competition happening in 2 weeks and have a load question.

Berry's 124 Gr RN
Unique 5.3 gr

The OAL data I find seems to be all over the chart, and being a Berrys bullet, I am having to extrapolate.

I need a good OAL.

I have found that 1.095 feeds, but have not shot it yet.

Before I do, does anyone have any insight with the Berry's bullet and OAL?

Thanks!

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I'm testing both Berry's and Rainier's right now for an article, and while I'm not doing a 9mm Para, I can offer an observation or two.

Plated bullets seem to be harder to seat in cases than either jacketed or cast. Some of them deform a bit due to pressure on the ram/seating punch. I slide my fingertips across my can of Imperial, and that whisper of wax on the bullet helps a LOT.

Plated bullets will react between cast and jacketed as to pressures and velocity. If you use jacketed data, they'll shoot a wee bit faster, but at a wee bit lower pressure.

They won't be as accurate as cast or jacketed. Beats me why, but they just aren't.

I'd set the OAL at whatever feeds best, use a taper crimp and shoot them at a competition that weights accuracy less.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    I load mine at 1.090-1.095 for a Beretta M-9. I tried going to the max of 1.115 and found no difference in feed or performance in that gun.

Rocky: interesting info, I did find that when loading .38 spec HBWC's, the swedged lead was a little more accurate then the plated bullets, I thought it was just my load which was the same for lead and plated. May have to re-think that process after your comments. Any chance you can share the info after the article?
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure will.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For berry's round nose bullets the magic COL seems to be 1.142" I use it in 115gr and 147gr Berrys RN Plated Bullets.

I found my Glock, Springfield XD, and CZ's seem to favor 115gr RN's, where as my Sig P226 likes the 147gr. Haven't had much luck with the 124gr.

Here are some of my Pet Loads:

115gr Berry's Plated RN with 4.4grs vv N320 or 4.3grs AA#2 (Glock 34)
    147gr Berry's Plated RN with 3.3gr's AA#2 (Sig P226 Blackwater Tactical)
    90gr Hornady JHP with 5.6grs AA#2 (Springfield XD9 Tactical really likes it, goes 1330fps)
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've just finished loading 2K of the 124 HP plated bullets. Seating force will deform the nose but they all come out the same length. I adjusted to fit my Ruger magazines and the checked for chamber clearance and feeding. I just checked a random 5 rounds and oal was 1.105"
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Topkick,
    The MOST important thing about the OAL for your load is. Do the loaded rounds fit into the magazine feeding flawlessly. AND do the loaded rounds have sufficient bullet tension to prevent the bullet from being shoved into the case during cycling, causing a possible KABOOM.
  • TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I meant to report back earlier.

I finished the match just fine with my loads.
    The 1.095 rode thru the mag just perfect with no fail-to-feed's.

The only mistakes were mine on the shooting range! (missing my shot).

The Berry's bullets seem to work well in this game and they are certainly within my budget.
    I do need to load them near the max (.3 gr under) in order to get them to cycle.

Your responses are appreciated!