In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Taper crimping a canalure

molarmakermolarmaker Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
Looking at 9mm 147 gr HST pull off with a canalure, do I have to roll crimp these or can I taper crimp. Its for a Sig 229

Comments

• bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Taper crimp.
    See perry shooter's sticky above.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think roll crimping in a 9mm is a poor choice.
  • molarmakermolarmaker Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Charlie and Big, onboard with the taper, its the cannelure that I have the issue with. Perry's topic only mentions the cannelure in the revolver topic. Let me see what the seller has to say. Thanks again
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Just adjust the seating die so the top of the brass is even with top of cannelure.
  • noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ignore the cannelure. If a case head spaces on the case mouth, then you ALWAYS taper crimp. This is covered in every good manual.
    A cannelure on a bullet does NOT determine the COL, other than in magnum rounds for revolvers where a really firm roll crimp is required. For 9x19, the cannelure means nothing. The COL you should use the one that gives you 100% feeding and chambering and best accuracy. This will often/generally be with the bullet close to or just "kissing" the lede/rifling. COL is determined by the bullet ogive, the magazine (how soon the lips release the round to be fed and the max length that will fit in the magazine), the feed ramp, and the chamber. The cannelure has nothing to do with determining the best COL for an auto-loader.